Valle d'Aosta Favorite Tips by sierralyndon Top 5 Page for this destination
Valle d'Aosta Favorites: 31 reviews and 38 photos
Aosta as seen from Pila
Favorite thing: Aosta is the capital of the region of Valle D'Aosta. Founded by the Romans, it still has traces of Roman-ness throughout the city including a Roman amphitheatre and a forum.
I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice little city this was. It has a great piazza and a very, very long main street with great shops and things to see. I was also surprised at the many street painters there were around. In short, I was surprised it was such a "happening" place!!
From Aosta you can take a gondola up to Pila which is a ski resort... where you can do walks in the summer time and ski in the wintertime of course.
Little village of Cogne
Favorite thing: Cogne is about a 20 minute drive from the main highway (autostrada). It is a quiet little village with a few shops, restaurants and pubs. Plenty of hotels though!
There is one information centre, that happened to be closed everytime we went there!
It is a good base from which to do day-time trips to explore the many delights of the Gran Paradiso National Park.
The main park in Courmayeur
Favorite thing: This town is cute if a little bit touristy. I like it because there are enough things to do in the town itself for those evenings after a long walk in the mountains.
This is the last town in Italy before you head towards the Mont Blanc tunnel.
There are plenty of restaurants, good shops selling typical foods of the region, some pubs and some really great creperie!!
More Reviews (12)
- See All Have a picnic at Lago Blu (Lac Bleu)
- Lovely, lovely place
- See All Lovely, quiet chalet
sierralyndon's Related Pages
Valle d'Aosta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VALLE D'AOSTA"
- "Val D'Aosta - Paradise for Nature Lovers"
- "Valley of Hidden Surprises"
- "Among the western Alps"
- "Mountains, green nature, snow and traditions!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valle d'Aosta
- Hotels in Valle d'Aosta
- Transportation in Valle d'Aosta
- Nightlife in Valle d'Aosta
- Restaurants in Valle d'Aosta
- Shopping in Valle d'Aosta
- Warnings and Dangers in Valle d'Aosta
- See All...
Explore the World
- Naduvattam Hotels
- Abingdon-on-Thames Hotels
- Apalachicola Hotels
- Arad Hotels
Badges & Stats in Valle d'Aosta
- 15 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Valle d'Aosta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valle d'Aosta
Top 10 Pages
- Milan Intro, 39 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trentino-Alto Adige Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Andalucía Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valle d'Aosta Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grindelwald Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Island Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udine Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Mykonos Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maldives Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (8)
Top Valle d'Aosta hotels
- Aosta Hotels
- 34 Reviews - 123 Photos
- Saint-Vincent Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 6 Photos
- Breuil-Cervinia Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 51 Photos
- La Thuile Hotels
- 11 Hotels
- Champoluc Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 1 Photo
- Quart Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Gressoney-Saint-Jean Hotels
- 14 Hotels
- Courmayeur Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 43 Photos
- Cogne Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 3 Photos
- Châtillon Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Bard Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 8 Photos