"My Milano" Milan by sierralyndon
Milan Travel Guide: 2,803 reviews and 6,987 photos
Milan has been home for nearly 5 years. I don't have many photos of the city, seeing as how I actually live here... and take things for granted, not needing photos to remind me of landmarks, etc. But I'm going to start filling in these pages with tips anyway for others' benefit. And get round to taking more shots of the city.
Milan is the capital of the region of Lombardia. It is also Italy's financial and industrial centre. Milan is often left off many travel itineraries, probably because it does not have the obvious abundance of tourist attractions like the overwhelming number of art works in Florence, the glorious monuments in Rome or the quaintness of Venice.
However, give yourself some time in Milan and you could discover many delights on a smaller scale. What is NOT on a small scale is the Duomo (pictured above), reportedly the third largest cathedral in the world. To me, the Duomo is the heart of Milan: geographically as a reference point to make your way around the city, as well as socially as a convenient meeting point and a darn good place from which to start exploring the city or to embark on a shopping expedition.
As with many larger cities around Europe, many residents you encounter in Milan may not necessarily be from Milan originally. Milan is one of those places that people migrate to - for higher studies, for jobs, etc. etc.
The general public in Milan can be really nice and really strange at the same time. Milanese have a reputation for being snobs and really nit-picky. I can vouch for the nit-picky bit actually, especially the older generation - I've witnessed many altercations on trams over nothing. It's amusing more than anything else.
All in all, I wouldn't live anywhere else in Italy all things considered. This city works for me better than any other in this country. I've had several people on VT saying that was "crazy talk" - it is not the most loved city in Italy, To each their own I say .....................................................................................
1) It's quite cool to be able to say "I live in Milan"
3) The shopping
4) I understand the Italian here (unlike the Roman version of Italian!)
5) Milan is near gorgeous lakes, mountains, Switzerland and France (to go "overseas")
1) How expensive everything is compared to other parts of Italy
2) Too much traffic and bad parking (which is why I don't drive)
3) Pollution - of the air and noise variety
4) Mosquitoes in the summer time
5) Fog in the winter time
I popped down to the new Ferrari Store in Piazza dei Liberty the day after its grand opening on 1 Sept 2005. They were... more travel advice
The Trattoria del Carmine is located in the Brera area and is easily accessible by foot from the centre of town.... more travel advice
sierralyndon's Related Pages
Milan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MILAN - As I've always wanted to visit"
- "Home sweet home!"
- "La Dolce Vita In Milano ;-)"
- "Milan - surprising and fascinating"
- "Milan l'è Milan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Milan
- Hotels in Milan
- Transportation in Milan
- Nightlife in Milan
- Restaurants in Milan
- Shopping in Milan
- Warnings and Dangers in Milan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Milan
- 39 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 98 Forum posts
- 41 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Milan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Milan
Photos in MilanSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Milan Intro, 39 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trentino-Alto Adige Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Andalucía Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valle d'Aosta Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grindelwald Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Island Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udine Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Mykonos Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maldives Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (8)
Latest Milan hotel reviews
- Jolly Hotel Milano 2
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Mercure Milano Corso Genova
- 144 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Watt Tredici Hotel
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Hotel Virgilio
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- Jolly Hotel Milanofiori
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Jolly Hotel Machiavelli
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Sheraton Milan Malpensa Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
- 558 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Club Hotel
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Gran Duca Di York Hotel
- 285 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Capitol World Class Hotel
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- Camperio House Suites & Apartments
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Hotel Villa Malpensa
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- The Hub Hotel
- 190 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Mercure Milano Centro
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- St. John Hotel Milan
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013