"Enjoy to stroll around" Top 5 Page for this destination Mons by Mahieu

Mons Travel Guide: 213 reviews and 416 photos

Introduction to Mons

It is on this hill, which the Romans called Montes, that Lady Waudru built a monastery in the 7th century.
The city's development occurred however mainly in the Middle Ages, during the reign of Charles V.

After the independance of Belgium (1830), Mons became a commercial centre in the mine-region of the Borinage. The city knew a lot of cruel battles during the two World Wars.

Nowadays, Mons is a small historical city where it is nice to spend a day or two, strolling on the Grand'Place or nearby St Waudru.%

I lived here for 4 years and especially enjoyed the Doudou festival, which you can see in my travelogues.

I come back to Mons every couple of months to have a drink, bite or shopping and I must say that the city changed quite a bit. There are lots of nice bars that opened and some good restaurants. The city center is being restored as well. Looks promising!
Last time I was there, I had a very international 'tour': a drink in a Cuban bar, eating in an Italian restaurant, having a tea in a Moroccan tea house and having a Guinness in the Irish pub. Mons is becoming international!b*

• Intro Updated Jul 28, 2007

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Another great page...but I am seeing a pattern here...more night life tips than any others...not that I am making any judgement calls here.. ;-)

• Mahieu's Profile Photo
      Jun 13, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Haha, true, I decided to specialise in that category :-)

• Oct 9, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Just wanna say that the cubar's boss is really rude! He doesn't respect his clients...

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Good and useful tips, I may have to add Mons to my schedule.

• Aug 23, 2006 at 7:43 AM

I observed that the monkey is frequently urinated on by drunken revelers who find it funny that tourist rub it afterwords.

• SpagBoll's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2005 at 11:55 PM

Very nice - we enjoyed our trip to Mons (many years ago) - must go back there ;-)

• irisbe's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2005 at 6:23 AM

hey Elske terug van Istanbul? tot vrijdag? :)

• Muya's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2004 at 12:23 PM

Nice Mons page ! I particularly like the travelogue about René. And of course the Doudou ! My first VT meeting without even being a member ;-) And hey, I wasn't drunk when I took the pictures you saw on sarah's page...my camera was damaged :-)

• arlequin_g's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2004 at 9:26 AM

Nice place, except for the murders years ago.

• Cynthia_marie's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2004 at 2:32 PM

Great info on Doudou; sorry I missed it. (I was in Normandy, France). Next year, I promise..

• ptitetoile's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2004 at 4:58 AM

Hello Els!!!! Great travelogue about the Doudou! And thanks for the comment and the picture on you VT-meeting travelogue :-) I was happy that you were there ! Who knows, maybe we will be much more in 2005!

Mahieu Used To Live Here!

Mahieu

“28 countries visited and planning on visiting a lot more!”

Badges & Stats in Mons