"Enjoy to stroll around" Top 5 Page for this destination Mons by Mahieu
Mons Travel Guide: 212 reviews and 416 photos
It is on this hill, which the Romans called Montes, that Lady Waudru built a monastery in the 7th century.
The city's development occurred however mainly in the Middle Ages, during the reign of Charles V.
After the independance of Belgium (1830), Mons became a commercial centre in the mine-region of the Borinage. The city knew a lot of cruel battles during the two World Wars.
Nowadays, Mons is a small historical city where it is nice to spend a day or two, strolling on the Grand'Place or nearby St Waudru.%
I lived here for 4 years and especially enjoyed the Doudou festival, which you can see in my travelogues.
I come back to Mons every couple of months to have a drink, bite or shopping and I must say that the city changed quite a bit. There are lots of nice bars that opened and some good restaurants. The city center is being restored as well. Looks promising!
Last time I was there, I had a very international 'tour': a drink in a Cuban bar, eating in an Italian restaurant, having a tea in a Moroccan tea house and having a Guinness in the Irish pub. Mons is becoming international!b*
Hey, this is new and I like it! A Moroccan teahouse and chicha place! Original, especially for Mons! The interior, staff... more travel advice
Since the 25th of September 2003, Mons has its own big shopping centre. 30000 m² of shopping: imagine! There are over 70... more travel advice
- Beffroi Youth Hostel
- See All Italian
- See All Get to Mons
- See All Parc Paradisio
Written Jun 6, 2004
Doudou or La Ducasse de Mons!
Written Feb 3, 2004
Goodbye to a symbol of Mons
Mahieu's Related Pages
Mons Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Enjoy to stroll around"
- "Mons and the Doudou"
- "Mons, a medieval town with strong traditions!"
- "A Microcosm Of Larger European Cities"
- "MON'S - WELL WORTH A STOP!"
- "MONS (Bergen in Dutch)"
- "Mons, the heart of my student life ;-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mons
- Hotels in Mons
- Transportation in Mons
- Nightlife in Mons
- Restaurants in Mons
- Shopping in Mons
- Warnings and Dangers in Mons
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mons
- 25 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 59 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Mons?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mons
Photos in MonsSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Brussels Intro, 51 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
- Gent Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Venice Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Dublin Intro, 29 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mons Intro, 25 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 18 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girona Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue