Venice Off The Beaten Path Tips by Mahieu
Venice Off The Beaten Path: 716 reviews and 1,238 photos
Opposite Giudecca, close to Santa Maria della Salute, there's a sort of walking boulevard, where you have some delicious ice cream shops (try Nico) and nice churches. Good place to have good views on Giudecca. Some benches too to have a well deserved rest!
" The glass island". Indeed, if you visit Murano, you'll see its famous export product everywhere: the Murano glass.
Murano is a nice little island a bit outside of Venice and often people visiting Burano and Torcello also visit this island. So did I. It was ok, but couldn't compete with the beautiful colours of Burano nor the quietness of Torcello. Murano has a beautiful church worth visiting. I'll soon build my Murano page, stay tuned.
You need to get away from the Venice crowd? Then Burano is a great idea. This beautiful colourfull island is less than an hour away from the centre of Venice. It can be reached easily by vaporetto.
If you want to see more of Burano,then check out my Burano page!
The small island you see in front of San Marco Square is called San Giorgio Maggiore. You can easily recognize it by its campanile, that looks almost the same like the one on San Marco. A suggestion: instead of climbing the campanile at San Marco, climb the one on San Giorgio Maggiore: it's cheaper and the view is much better!
Except for the campanile, there's also a church and a convent on the island. And don't hesitate to have a look at the (private) boats lying in front.
To get there, you guessed it, take the vaporetto.
If you're tired of culture, architecture and history and just want to relax on the beach, then take a vaporetto ride to the Lido Island.
Lido is where the "beau monde" comes together during the yearly film festival. Nice boulevards, expensive shops, even more expensive hotels, private beaches, parties, ...: this is what the Lido is all about.
During my stay in Venice, I spent 2 hours there, strolling on the boulevards and the beach. It's not really my kind of place, the beach is packed with cabins and seats and is not what I call pretty. But as said, nice to relax for a couple of hours if you have enough of Venice.
Well, I think this must be one of the most quiet places in the laguna. There are only 50 people still living in on this island! Torcello has 2 beautiful churches worth a visit. If you'd like to see what Torcello looks llike, then don't hesitate to have a look at my Torcello page!
More Reviews (24)
Mahieu's Related Pages
Venice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wandering around Venice with Suvanki"
- "Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)"
- "Venice – the City of Art"
- "Vacations in Venice"
- "MERAVIGLIOSA VENEZIA"
- "Giacomo CASANOVA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Venice
- Hotels in Venice
- Transportation in Venice
- Nightlife in Venice
- Restaurants in Venice
- Shopping in Venice
- Warnings and Dangers in Venice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Venice
- 30 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 32 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Venice
Photos in VeniceSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Brussels Intro, 51 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
- Gent Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Venice Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Dublin Intro, 29 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mons Intro, 25 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 18 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girona Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (23)
- Palazzo Ducale - Doge's Palace- 208 Reviews, 408 Photos
- Piazza San Marco- 307 Reviews, 498 Photos
- Gondola- 168 Reviews, 283 Photos
- Campanile di San Marco- 152 Reviews, 277 Photos
- Canal Grande- 198 Reviews, 340 Photos
- Rialto Bridge- 175 Reviews, 301 Photos
- Basilica di San Marco- 244 Reviews, 433 Photos
- Ponte dei Sospiri- 136 Reviews, 200 Photos
- Murano Island- 56 Reviews, 91 Photos
- Campi, Calle and Canali- 100 Reviews, 172 Photos
See All Venice Things to Do