"Our Weekend Homestead" Top 5 Page for this destination Twentynine Palms by Echo_29
Twentynine Palms Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 122 photos
After 10 years of sitting on 5 acres of property in Joshua Tree we bought our Echo Park neighbors homestead cabin in 29 Palms, just down the road from fellow "Weekender" and offbeat LA Celebrity Huel Howser.
From the early 1950s through the late 1960s the US Government patented out land in the High Desert of California, for 5 acre weekend homesteads. Since the 1930s locals had petitioned the US Government to allow the 5 Acre Homesteads. Prior to this the Government only allowed homesteading on 140 acre tracts that required the petitioner to live off the land and to produce a crop.
Once the Government changed the rules the floodgates were open and tens of thousands of people petitioned the Government for their 5 acres and builders popped up everywhere to meet the governments requirements that in order to receive 5 acres free a dwelling of 400 square feet and of adequate construction be built.
Today as you drive across the high desert you’ll see hundreds of decaying homestead houses or “Claim Shacks” strewn across the desert.
Fortunately for us our Echo Park neighbors spent an extra $330 and had theirs built of masonry. Today due to their excellent care our little desert house stands strong.
- In a nutshell:Life is Fine in 29
The 29 Palms Inn offers unique little bungalows set here and there on the extensive grounds in the midst of the Oasis of... more travel advice
The 29 Palms Inn has been around since 1929 and it is the best place for a high quality meal in all of 29 Palms. more travel advice
Written Aug 8, 2003
Homesteading in 29 Palms circa 1950.
Written Oct 14, 2003
Echo_29's Related Pages
Twentynine Palms Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Twentynine Palms -- Desert Mystique & Beauty"
- "Basaic Twentynine Palms Page"
- "Our Weekend Homestead"
- "Not just a Marine Corps base in the desert"
- "The Oasis of Murals"
- "Beautiful Desert"
- "Joshua Tree National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Twentynine Palms
- Hotels in Twentynine Palms
- Transportation in Twentynine Palms
- Nightlife in Twentynine Palms
- Restaurants in Twentynine Palms
- Warnings and Dangers in Twentynine Palms
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Twentynine Palms
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Twentynine Palms?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Twentynine Palms
Photos in Twentynine PalmsSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 37 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bonaire Intro, 34 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anza-Borrego Desert State Park Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mojave National Preserve Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Korcula Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Twin Falls Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vis Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos
- Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Joshua Tree Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (10)
Latest Twentynine Palms hotel reviews
- 29 Palms Inn
- 139 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Country Inn Twentynine Palms - Experience Satisfaction!
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 19, 2013
- Roughley Manor
- 306 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel
- 186 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- El Rancho Dolores Motel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Harmony Motel
- 231 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013