"First Steps to Explaning Bulgarian Spirit" Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia by kalenderov
Sofia Travel Guide: 1,489 reviews and 3,663 photos
It's hard, it's hard, so give me wine.
Drunk, I can forget the face
the thing you fools cannot define:
where lies glory - and disgrace.
Forget the country of my birth,
my father's dear homely nest,
and those whose souls were never curbed,
whose fighting soul was their bequest.
Forget my family in their need,
my father's grave, my mother's tears,
and those who'd steal a crust of bread
with all the aristocratic airs.
The rich man with his crookedness,
the merchant thirsting for his plunder,
the priest reciting holy mass,
rob from the people who must hunger.
Rob them. All you wanton band.
Rob them. Who will make a fuss?
Soon they'll be too tight to stand:
every hand holds up a glass.
We drink, we sing with recklessness,
we snarl against the tyrant foe,
the taverns are too small for us -
we shout: "To the mountains we shall.
We shout, but when we're sober
we forget our pledges and our phrases
and say no more, and roar with laughter
at the people's sacrifices.
While all the time the tyrant rages
and ravages our native home,
slaughters, hangs and flogs and curses
then fines the people he has tamed.
So fill the glass and let me drink.
Bring my soul its soothing gift
and kill the sober way I think
and let my manly hand grow soft.
I'll drink, despite the enemy,
despite all you, great patriots.
There's nothing near and dear to me,
and you? well. you are idiots.
This poetry is written in the middle of XVIII century. But it's very actual till today.
- Pros:people drink a lot
- Cons:some don't
- In a nutshell:Sofiyaaaaiyaaaaiyaaaayyyy!!!
There is a nice pool near to Pancharevo lake. It's about 3-4 kilometers from the end of Sofia between Plana and Lozen... more travel advice
Drujba seems like the Moon's surface, I guess. I cannot imagine how could I live in a place like this. But there are... more travel advice
- See All Hut Edelvays - 3
- See All New and comfortable
- See All Very Tasty and Cheap Food!
- See All cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!
kalenderov's Related Pages
Sofia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sofia Guide - One of the Oldest Cities in Europe"
- "My home town"
- "First Steps to Explaning Bulgarian Spirit"
- "Sofia - Capital at the foot of Mount Vitosha"
- "capital of Bulgaria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sofia
- Hotels in Sofia
- Transportation in Sofia
- Nightlife in Sofia
- Restaurants in Sofia
- Shopping in Sofia
- Warnings and Dangers in Sofia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sofia
- 170 Reviews
- 209 Photos
- 27 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Sofia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sofia
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sofia VT Meeting in the "Veslets""
- Posted in Travel Izmir Forum "Izmir interpreter / guide /..."
- Wrote a Review A Pool with Warm Water about pools in Sofia Sports & Outdoors
- Commented on one of AniVladimirova's Sofia travel pages
- updated a Sofia Travel Page "First Steps to Explaning Bulgarian Spirit"
Photos in SofiaSee All Photos (209)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sofia Intro, 170 reviews, 208 photos, 5 travelogues
- Plovdiv Intro, 56 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bulgaria Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Trigrad Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Akhtopol Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Athens Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Rozhen Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Rila Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Seoul Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos