"Oamaru, Penguin Country..." Top 5 Page for this destination Oamaru by kenmerk
Oamaru Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 98 photos
Well, I have to say that Oamaru is a town that is certainly worth visiting....
It has two nearby penguin colonies (one blue penguins and one of the endangered yellow eyed penguins) and also an interesting historic downtown section.
You can have your whole day layed out for you here. Visit the downtown section during the afternoon, then head over to the yellow eyed penguin colony at about 5 PM. Here you can sit in the penguin blind and watch a few hit the beach on their way home.
I would then highly recommend the guided tour down into the restricted nesting area. The guide will take you right up to a couple of the nests where it is easy to take close up pictures of the penguins nesting...
Head back to town for some dinner and buy a bottle of wine... After dinner, at about 9:30 PM, its about time for the Blue Penguins to start coming back in... Sit back and enjoy a few glasses of wine as you watch the little guys invade the beach...
It does make for an enjoyable (and full) day in Oamaru...
Blue (or Fairy) Penguins are more common than the yellow eyed ones. Also, they come back from the daily fishing... more travel advice
... and then watch as they waddle off single file to their nests in the rocks... Quite the Spectacle... more travel advice
kenmerk's Related Pages
Oamaru Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Architecture & Historical"
- "Oamaru, Penguin Country..."
- "Penquins and Stone"
- "Oamaru and It's White Stone."
- "Amazing Oamaru"
- "Please be patient with this Page..."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oamaru
- 9 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Oamaru?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oamaru
Photos in OamaruSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 40 reviews, 43 photos
- Burma Intro, 38 reviews, 40 photos
- State of Pohnpei Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Chuuk Intro, 31 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palau Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kengtung Intro, 31 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Redang Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lan Yu Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue