"Waipoua, Big Tree Country" Waipoua Forest by kenmerk
Waipoua Forest Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 42 photos
Certainly one of the highlights of the North country are the big trees of Waipoua.
Although most of these old growth trees have been long since clear cut for timber and to make way for sheep grazing, Waipoua has the largest track of remaining old growth Kauri trees in NZ.
The two most impressive trees, Te Matua Hgahere (Father of the Forest) and Tane Mahuta (God of the Forest) are easy to reach via short hiking trails off the main road...
But if you visit here, don't just charge up and snap, snap pix of the big trees... Spend some time hiking/picnicing in the area, it certainly makes for a nice peacful day....
No big old growth trees here, but a nice quiet place to picnic and take a walk through the forest....(you are likely to... more travel advice
Tane Mahuta Tree (the Maori name for God of the Forest) is estimated to be between 1200 and 2000 years old. Located just... more travel advice
kenmerk's Related Pages
Waipoua Forest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Its truly worth a visit to the Waipoua Forest!"
- "Waipoua, Big Tree Country"
- "Waipoua Forest"
- "Bosque de - Kauris - Forest"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waipoua Forest
- 6 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Waipoua Forest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waipoua Forest
Photos in Waipoua ForestSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 40 reviews, 43 photos
- Myanmar (Burma) Intro, 38 reviews, 40 photos
- State of Pohnpei Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Chuuk Intro, 31 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palau Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kengtung Intro, 31 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Redang Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lan Yu Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue