"Kengtung" Kengtung by kenmerk

Kengtung Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 148 photos

Kengtung

Beautiful City in Northern Burma. The capital of the Shan State area. see the Buffalo market, hike up to hill tribe villages, or just hang out in the central market and watch all the different tribes of people wander by...

The best description that I have heard of Kengtung is that it is like Chiangmai, Thailand was 50 years ago. I hope this does not change... (Mind you I love Thailand, and all, but it is a bit too touristed these days..) Save Thailand for the package tourists, and Northern Burma for those who want want a little more adventure in their lives....

Jan 2004 Update: Its my opinion that a trip to Kengtung is one of those once is a lifetime affairs. So, I count myself fortunate to have just returned from my second trip there in three years. Will be adding tips and pix as I can..... Cheers to ya...

• Last visit to Kengtung: Dec 2001
  • Intro Updated Feb 2, 2004

• pattayaraj's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2005 at 3:33 AM

Hi Ken,thanks for sharing. I'm on planning for Kengtung and your tips help me much. : )))))

• johnmi's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2005 at 3:44 AM

Fantastic page!!! Now Kentung is in my trip for Dec 2005! I'll writeyou if I have any doubt...

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2005 at 7:46 PM

Ken, I changed my mind about Burma and went for a dive instead. But if I do come here, I'll say lalalala if I want a hot springs dip, haha.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2004 at 8:29 AM

It seems that you had some grerat adventures in Kengtung! I laughed at the Hot Springs police check story. That hilltop village of Mengla does sound like a strange place indeed!

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2004 at 6:54 AM

When in Burma, "hot springs, please"...should not be said...in Japanese! *** Draw some steam... wipe your brow...works much better...than "ni hao" Burma Shave

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2004 at 6:57 AM

Cow Pies!! Brings back fond childhood memories!! haha I love places like this with no electricity! Walking home under the cover of darkness sounds like a fun challenge! Fantastic descriptions Ken!

• Guantanamera's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2004 at 10:00 PM

I enjoy any page that includes references to both a Van Gogh painting and a popular Yunnanese beer.

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2003 at 12:06 PM

Your room at Hotel Princess was dark, but did you find the Princess at least? Here we say that if you step those kind of "pies", you will be lucky! ;-)

• orlikins's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2003 at 1:56 PM

Border guards are certainly a volatile bunch! :-)

• cosmopolit's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2003 at 4:10 PM

After seedy Mengla being whacked out by a monk....Gosh you're a tough cookie.

Badges & Stats in Kengtung

Have you been to Kengtung?

Latest Activity in Kengtung