"Loi (Lwe) Villages of Wan Nyet and Wan Seng" Wan Seng by kenmerk
Wan Seng Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 19 photos
Loi Villages of Wan Seng and Wan Nyet: There are so many hill tribe villages that you can reach from Kengtung, you would never be able to visit them all, so you have to pick and choose. That said, I think that these two are certainly worth a look.
The road north from Kengtung to Mongla was just recently paved, which will make this journey a lot less painful on your rear end. It used to be a bumpy, dusty, dirty, 3-4 hour hayride up through the mountains here, followed by a two hour trek up to the two villages. Now the ride up is a smooth two hour journey, interrupted only by the occasional police check points that are omnipresent in this part of Burma.
The thing that sets them aparts from most of the others are the unique buddhist monasteries that are to be found here.
Looking at the temples,their style seems out of place in the Shan State, they look more like something that you may run across in the mountains of Tibet rather than in the hills of Northeast Burma.
I also found that the kids in Wan Seng and Wan Nyet were quite friendly and open. After they overcame the initial shyness they showed us all around and seemed to enjoy our company.
Make yer own Bread: A couple of the local girls give a demo on milling the flour, the old fashioned way.... (mortar and... more travel advice
The second and larger village, Wan Seng, is about an hour's walk past Wan Nyet. The monastery complex at this village is... more travel advice
kenmerk's Related Pages
Wan Seng Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wan Seng
- 16 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Wan Seng?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wan Seng
Photos in Wan SengSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiwan Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 40 reviews, 43 photos
- Burma Intro, 38 reviews, 40 photos
- State of Pohnpei Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Chuuk Intro, 31 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palau Intro, 27 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kengtung Intro, 31 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Redang Intro, 23 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lan Yu Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue