"Tanshui" Tan-shui by kenmerk

Tan-shui Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 76 photos

For an interesting day trip from Taipei, Tamshui is a good choice.

Located near the mouth of the Tamshui river, this town was once a major port, but now is mostly a tourist attraction. There are several historically significant buildings in Tamshui. The most famous is Fort San Domingo, or as they say in Chinese: "Fort of the Red Haired Flesh Eating Barbarians". (Meaning guys like us) This fort was originally built by the Spanish in the 17th Century.

Also, around town you can find several other old European buildings, including the Red Castle, which was built in the late 19th century.

Probably the most interesting thing to do in Tamshui, is wade through the masses on the riverfront shopping arcades. You can check out the barbequed squid and Heineken girls down here...There is also a new park directly in front of the MRT station. Here they have live bands and other entertainment on weekends...

• Last visit to Tan-shui: Jan 2001
  • Intro Updated Nov 27, 2003

• Totodutchie's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Actually, as I am informed by the locals, it refers the Dutch. The Dutch conquered the fortress and the Taiwanese named it accordingly. I don't know exactly why we are called redhairs, most of us in Holland are blond. Or am I colourblind? :-)

• Dec 12, 2003 at 12:28 AM

Interesting place,Ken..Not bad for a day trip. The bird in the rock looks cool and the water front market looks like alot of fun! =)

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2003 at 2:16 PM

Very interesting page! I didn't expect anything like this under the Taiwan heading!

• Burtty's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2003 at 7:40 AM

My office is 15 minutes' walk from Guan-tu Temple. There is also a bird watching park there nearby.

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2003 at 5:40 PM

I am not Red Haired (I'm a brunette), but I am a Flesh Eating... Am I a barbarian or not?

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2003 at 7:17 PM

barbarian's perspective Guantanamera wrote...chuckle LOL.are you a Redhead ken ^..^ , from that point of view, ya done very well..Greetings

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2003 at 7:23 PM

I wonder if those Barbarians were naturally "red haired." ;-)))

• Guantanamera's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2003 at 2:05 PM

Not a bad page, considering it was written from a barbarian's perspective...

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2003 at 12:31 PM

Great page Ken! Of course! We love reading about your far away travels! :o)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2003 at 7:43 PM

Another excellent page on life in Taiwan! Thank God that I am not Red-Haired!

Badges & Stats in Tan-shui

Have you been to Tan-shui?

Latest Activity in Tan-shui