"LESOTHO - KINGDOM IN THE SKY" Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho by mtncorg
Lesotho Travel Guide: 302 reviews and 818 photos
Lesotho boasts the highest low point of any country in the World (1400 meters) and is the only country to be entirely above 1000 meters high. The Maldives and Tuvalu may be endangered lands in the next century or so of global warming, but Lesotho ain’t going anywhere soon!
If you traverse across the crest of the Drakensberg, you will spend much of your time wandering among valleys and mountains that are actually inside of Lesotho and not South Africa. The border between the two countries runs along the rim of the Drakensberg Escarpment, for the most part, and you are not always walking along the very edge. That means that technically you need to carry along your passport in amongst your mountain gear on the miniscule chance you run into Lesotho officials somewhere in the alpine wilderness. The country up here is a lonely land at first glance, but looking deeper, you will find plenty of evidence of the hand of man at work, whether it be in the form of herdsmen wandering about with their cows or sheep, diamond miners, cattle rustlers or dagga (marijuana) smugglers. Here in the upper reaches of the Drakensberg, the moniker ‘Kingdom in the Sky’ takes on a very real meaning.
The views from atop the Drakensberg Escarpment are difficult to convey in words and simple pictures. Remember, you have... more travel advice
As you walk across the mountains of the upper Drakensberg reaches on your Grand Traverse, the World of Lesotho looks... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Lesotho Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Three generations trek over the Roof of Africa!"
- "Lesotho - The Kingdom in the sky"
- "LESOTHO. THE KINGDOM OF THE SKY"
- "LESOTHO - KINGDOM IN THE SKY"
- "Basotho Village Treks"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lesotho
- Hotels in Lesotho
- Transportation in Lesotho
- Nightlife in Lesotho
- Restaurants in Lesotho
- Shopping in Lesotho
- Warnings and Dangers in Lesotho
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lesotho
- 7 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Lesotho?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lesotho
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos