"VALLADOLID - SPANISH BEGINNINGS IN THE YUCATAN" Top 5 Page for this destination Valladolid by mtncorg
Valladolid Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 283 photos
Valladolid is the third largest city on the Yucatan, lying about halfway between the other two - Merida and Cancun. Some tourists find their way here - though most pass it by in a hurry to reach the nearby Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza. Good for you if you stop because prices are lot less affordable here with an enjoyable town to see to boot. Walking around the zocalo of Valladolid, the Spanish colonial charm will begin to ooze through in a way that you will never see in Cancun or Chichen Itza. The city was settled early on in the mid 16th Century on the site of the earlier Mayan settlement of Zaci - the Spanish got rid of that problem after a couple of expeditionary tries. Literally at the end of the long road from Madrid, locals were basically autonomous of outside control. The town was an important religious center with Franciscans building some of the first Catholic buildings in the Yucatan - the Iglesia de San Bernardino de Siena and the Convento de Sisal. It was always the first focal point in the bloody 1847 War of the Castes between Mayans and Spanish/Mexicans. Use Valladolid as a base to explore other points of interest in this area of the Yucatan, like Chichen Itza.
Restoration has only been ongoing since 1987 here at Ek Balam. Ek Balam - which means 'Black Jaguar' - is a wonderful... more travel advice
The cathedral dominates the southern side of the Plaza Principal. Built in the 17th Century, the thick walls loom high... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Valladolid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vallodolid, Yucatan Mexico"
- "VALLADOLID - SPANISH BEGINNINGS IN THE YUCATAN"
- "Colonial Charm Without the Crowds"
- "Classic Colonial City - and Tons of Charm!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valladolid
- Hotels in Valladolid
- Transportation in Valladolid
- Restaurants in Valladolid
- Shopping in Valladolid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Valladolid
- 5 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Valladolid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valladolid
Photos in ValladolidSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 64 reviews, 244 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 64 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues