"PORT TOWNSEND - PUGET SOUND GETAWAY" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Townsend by mtncorg
Port Townsend Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 380 photos
Port Townsend - or 'PT', as locals know it - lies at the end of the Quimper Peninsula, which snaking north and then east in serpentine fashion, marks the northwestern end of the Puget Sound. The open waters of the Strait of Juan de Fuca are to the northwest while the more sheltered waters of the Sound extend as a watery highway to the ports of Seattle, Bremerton and Tacoma to the south.
For a brief period in the late 19th Century, Port Townsend vied, with several other towns along the Sound, to gain economic dominance. The main rail lines to the interior stopped on the east side of the Sound, relegating Port Townsend to secondary significance in the end. Seattle emerged as the region's dominant city, following the Alaskan Gold Rush of the early 20th Century and Port Townsend entered into a long period of somnolescence. The long sleep managed to preserve many of its buildings, which in recent years, have been restored, giving new life to Port Townsend as a local tourist destination. A full schedule of events attract visitors from the region: the Wooden Boat Festival, a kayak symposium, Christmas festival and many other events PT Calendar all serve to keep the local lodgings and restaurants full.
Part of the magic is how you get there - there is usually a ferry ride of some sort involved - the most direct being the 30-minute ride over from Keystone on Whidbey Island, taking you across some of the biggest tidal rips in the Sound. That ferry brings you right into the heart of Port Townsend, less than a 100 meters to the right of the ferry landing.
On summer weekends, Port Townsend is packed - two hour parking limits are in place throughout the downtown area year-round. Try an off-season time to better appreciate the town for its gorgeous physical setting, its fine dining opportunities and its historical and cultural venues.
Located along the west side of Marrowstone Island, just south of Fort Flagler State Park, Mystery Bay State Park is a... more travel advice
Just north of the small Port Hudson, one finds a rocky beach that expands and contracts with the tides. Watch the... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Port Townsend Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Object of Desire: Port Townsend"
- "PORT TOWNSEND - PUGET SOUND GETAWAY"
- "Once Overlooked, but Now Growing Tourist Center"
- "City of Dreams"
- "Port Townsend"
- "a town of alternative lifestyles."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Townsend
- Hotels in Port Townsend
- Transportation in Port Townsend
- Nightlife in Port Townsend
- Restaurants in Port Townsend
- Shopping in Port Townsend
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Townsend
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Townsend
- 17 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Port Townsend?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Townsend
- updated a Port Townsend Travel Page "PORT TOWNSEND - PUGET SOUND GETAWAY"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Apostrophes in photo captions"
- Commented on one of goodfish's Port Townsend tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "WALKING AROUND PORT HUDSON"
- Wrote a Review MYSTERY BAY STATE PARK in Port Townsend Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Port TownsendSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 64 reviews, 244 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 64 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues