North Cascades National Park Off The Beaten Path Tips by mtncorg
North Cascades National Park Off The Beaten Path: 11 reviews and 15 photos
Mt Shuksan from east end of Excelsior Ridge
Continue farther through the ridgetop meadows - flowers in July, berries in August, colors in September. The view to Shuksan reveals the entire western and northern flanks of this glorious peak. To the mountain's left, you can peer into the Nooksack Cirque, known as the 'deepest, darkest hole in the North Cascades'.
East WA 542 to town of Glacier; 2 miles beyond, right on Canyon Cr Rd #31 and 15 miles to trailhead at roadend - 4200 feet/1273 meters.
Mt Baker south off of Excelsior Ridge
This trail is not quite into the Park, but it allows a glimpse of the northwestern fringes and the glorious Nooksack glacial valley, far below. Good roads deposit you at the heady heights of 4200 feet/1273 meters. From the trailhead you make your way up past the forested Damfino Lakes - ponds, really - tothe ridge itself, a grand meadow covered ridge standing 5000 feet above the Nooksack River. To your immediate south is the dramatically glacial-encrusted volcanic cone of Mt Baker, 10775 feet/3284 meters - Washington State's third highest peak after Rainier and Adams.
More Reviews (16)
mtncorg's Related Pages
North Cascades National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ALPINIST'S WONDERLAND"
- "North Cascades National Park"
- "Basaic North Cascades National Park Page"
- "Cruising through the North Cascades"
- "North Cascades"
- "Breathtaking Mountains"
- "Pacific Northwest - Hiking Heaven!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in North Cascades National Park
- Hotels in North Cascades National Park
- Transportation in North Cascades National Park
- Restaurants in North Cascades National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in North Cascades National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in North Cascades National Park
- 18 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (177)
Have you been to North Cascades National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Cascades National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most visited travel pages."
- Commented on one of GuthrieColin's North Cascades National Park travel pages
- updated a North Cascades National Park Travel Page "ALPINIST'S WONDERLAND"
- Wrote a Review NORTH CASCADES TRAILS ARE STEEP in North Cascades National Park Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "NORTH CASCADES TRAILS ARE STEEP"
Photos in North Cascades National ParkSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos