"WASHINGTON'S MASSIVE GLACIATED GLORY" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Rainier National Park by mtncorg
Mount Rainier National Park Travel Guide: 249 reviews and 579 photos
When you look at Mt Rainier from Tacoma or Seattle, you are amazed by the sheer size. When you see the mountain up close from the Park roads, your jaw drops open. The bulk of the mountain and its two dozen glaciers is incredible. Of Washington's three national parks, Mt Rainer is by far the most accessible to the normal tourist. Roads cover the southern edge of the mountain rising to 5400 feet at Paradise; roads penetrate to the high ground in the northeast - 6400 feet at Sunrise - and the northwest at Mowich Lake. The drive across WA 706 on the south is a splendid and very scenic route. Many pullouts explain geology, glaciology, biology, botany and history of the Park. Most people head to the flower gardens at Paradise. If you want to wander the many trails in the alpine meadows of Paradise - wildflowers at their peak in early to mid July - go early in the day. On weekends, you will be with hundreds of others. The same admonition pertains to the vast meadows of Yakima Park at Sunrise. While these meadows can get too popular, a midweek trip can still be very rewarding.
The roads are just beginning points for backcountry wanders. High on many people's list is to climb Mt Rainier. Hundreds of people slog up the Disappointment Cleaver route from Paradise, spending a night up high near Camp Muir - 10188 feet/3105 meters. Many more go up the broad Emmons Glacier on the northeast side from White River near Sunrise. Others walk the lengthy Wonderland Trail - a 93 mile trail that encircles the mountain giving different views with each mile and takes around 10 days to do the whole thing. There are many different corners to the Park, however, meadows, rivers, forests and peaks that call.
Experience the Mountain from the multiutde of viewpoints along the different Park roads, or ........
...... for a more intimate outing, hike the trails gaining new insights or even go up high for an even more ultimate high.
- Pros:Mammoth mountain, huge glaciers, grand flower gardens and lots of wildlife
- Cons:Crowds at Sunrise and Paradise can imitate Yosemite at times
- In a nutshell:An Unbelievably Big Mountain
Little Tahoma is a huge pyramidal satellite of Mt Rainier standing just to the east. It rises to 11138 ft/2802 m. Best... more travel advice
There are two small hotels within the Park, both on the south road WA 706 - at Longmire and up at Paradise. Reservations... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Mount Rainier National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perfect Everday in its own Special Way:Mt. Rainier"
- "Basaic Mount Rainier National Park Page"
- "WASHINGTON'S MASSIVE GLACIATED GLORY"
- "Mt. Rainier National Park"
- "Mount Rainier National Park"
- "Drive thru Mt Ranier"
- "Welcome to Mount Rainer National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Rainier National Park
- Hotels in Mount Rainier National Park
- Transportation in Mount Rainier National Park
- Nightlife in Mount Rainier National Park
- Restaurants in Mount Rainier National Park
- Shopping in Mount Rainier National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Rainier National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Rainier National Park
- 21 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (177)
Have you been to Mount Rainier National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Rainier National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most visited travel pages."
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's Mount Rainier National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review LITTLE TAHOMA in Mount Rainier National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Assorted Virtual Glances seen climbing the Big One"
- created a Mount Rainier National Park Travelogue "Assorted Virtual Glances seen climbing the Big One"
Photos in Mount Rainier National ParkSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos