"FORT COLUMBIA - HISTORY PRESERVED" Fort Columbia State Park by mtncorg
Fort Columbia State Park Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 31 photos
Fort Columbia was the last of the three forts defending the Columbia to be built - 1896. It is built upon Point Chinook just east of the future Lewis and Clark interpretative center to be built at Station Camp. The reason the fort was built later then the other forts is the same reason the interpretative center has not been built yet - legal issues with the local Chinook tribe over land. This fort is the best preserved of all three forts at the Columbia River mouth - being considerably compact, smaller and out-of-the-way probably had some impact there. The purpose of the fort was to provide additional fire support to Fort Stevens - directly southwest across the river - and Fort Canby - several miles to the west out on Cape Disappointment. The initial heart of the fort was Battery Jules Ord with its three 8-inch disappearing guns.
The fort was later put in charge of the river minefields and given a new battery of updated guns - Battery 246 - during World War II. Inactivated along with the rest of the Columbia mouth forts shortly after World War II, the fort became a State Park in 1950. Far beneath you, traffic rumbles through a tunnel on US 101, while walking above through the old fort, you are transported to an earlier time.
A mile or so east of the Astoria-Megler bridge is the Dismal Nitch site of the new Lewis and Clark National Historic... more travel advice
This battery consisted of three rapid-fire 3-inch guns that were protecting the Columbia River minefields from potential... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Fort Columbia State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FORT COLUMBIA - HISTORY PRESERVED"
- "Small Fortress yet Perceived to be Vital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Columbia State Park
- Hotels in Fort Columbia State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Columbia State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Columbia State Park
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Fort Columbia State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Columbia State Park
Photos in Fort Columbia State ParkSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues