"CATHLAMET - PAST AND PRESENT MEET ON THE COLUMBIA" Cathlamet by mtncorg
Cathlamet Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 21 photos
Cathlamet was one of the largest Indian villages that Lewis & Clark visited along the Columbia River during their journey of discovery with some 300-400 people living here. The first white settler was James Birnie who retired from a career with Hudson?s Bay Company ? his last post was the Chief Factor at Fort George (Astoria) ? and came here in 1846. He and his family of 12 came here setting up a trading post. His large house can still be found atop the hill overlooking the town he continued. Many retirees have followed his example today ? especially out on nearby Puget Island.
Cathlamet is the only incorporated town in Wahkiakum County ? the third smallest county in Washington boasting some 3,978 people ? and accounts for some 532 people. White settlers replaced the local Native Americans who were devasted ? some 90% of the Native population died in the 1830-40?s. Salmon fisheries were the first industry in the area with the logging industry shortly behind. Both industries have been downscaled dramatically in more recent years ? the salmon canneries long since gone with the building of dams upriver which have dramatically reduced the huge salmon runs that were so important to earlier Native American life.
Today, farming, retirees and some tourism is what keeps people occupied for the most part. It is much quieter than the pictures you can see at the local museum from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The ?Wahkiakum? has been running across the main channel of the Columbia River between Puget Island and Westport, Oregon... more travel advice
Cathlamet was an important stop along the Columbia River between Astoria and the settlements at the mouth of the... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Cathlamet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old Logging Town with Bay on Columbia River"
- "CATHLAMET - PAST AND PRESENT MEET ON THE COLUMBIA"
- "oneonta_ni's new Cathlamet Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cathlamet
- 4 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (273)
Have you been to Cathlamet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cathlamet
Photos in CathlametSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 64 reviews, 244 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 196 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 41 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos