"BRYCE CANYON NP - COLORS GONE CRAZY" Bryce Canyon National Park by mtncorg
Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Guide: 588 reviews and 1,512 photos
Bryce is an amazing example of the geological process of erosion. Rain, snow and ice have carved deeply into the Pink Cliffs formation - ancient lake deposits 800-1300 ft/250-400 m thick - to create a phantasyland of towers, minarets, windows and many other things your mind can conjure up. The cliffs go on and on for miles though the central amphitheater is a little over a mile across from Sunrise Point to Bryce Point.
For most visitors, Bryce is a driving park - not drive-through since the roads dead end - where different viewpoints can be experienced along the rim of the Pink Cliffs. For the Bryce we know from pictures we have seen, the first four overlooks will give us these views - Sunrise, Sunset, Inspiration and Bryce Points. A separate road takes off for Fairyland Point just before you get to the visitor center near the main entrance while Paria Point is around the corner from the spectacular views of Bryce Point. The other viewpoints are located on a 15 mile road that goes south to Rainbow Point.
There are two campgrounds and a lodge near the main amphitheater - just off the rim from Sunrise and Sunset Points. A free bus shuttle - voluntary like on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and unlike the involuntary Zion Canyon shuttle - runs from near the Park entrance past the first four viewpoints around the main amphitheater, as well as the campgrounds, lodge and visitors center. Sadly, there is no shuttle beyond on the road to Rainbow Point which is a shame for long distance hikers who would like to do parts of or the whole 22 miles of the Under the Rim trail which begins at Bryce Point and heads south to Rainbow. In addition to that trail, several others exist to entice the visitor off of the rim with the best examples being the Queens Garden trail and the Navajo Loop trail going off the rim from Sunrise and Sunset Points, respectively.
You can experience Bryce Canyon in one day or even a full half day. You can also take your time and watch the colors change with day and sky. A word about crowds. This Park can get a bit hectic around the main amphitheater area. From rough experience, I would put it on par almost with its compatriots - the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and Zion Canyon. I could see one day the voluntary shuttle becoming involuntary as has been done in Zion and has should be done on the South Rim and in Yosemite Valley. The experience of eliminating cars in Zion Canyon makes for a much less hectic environment - though it would probably make you need more time to visit Bryce.
This viewpoint is just south of the main Bryce amphitheater and offer you the first look at the Pink Cliffs beyond. The... more travel advice
Just beyond Sunset Point, the road branches with the main road going on to Rainbow Point and the road to the left... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Hoodoos and Queens"
- "Bryce Canyon – magic encounters with artist Earth"
- "Don't Think Thrice, Bryce is All Right!"
- "Hoodoo's-NOt Boo Hoo's"
- "Colourful and Weird Hoodoos at Bryce"
- "Bryce Canyon National Park"
- "Roundtrip USA : part 16 Bryce Canyon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Hotels in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Transportation in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Nightlife in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Restaurants in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Shopping in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Bryce Canyon National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bryce Canyon National Park
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Bryce Canyon National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bryce Canyon National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most visited travel pages."
- Uploaded a Photo to "QUEENS GARDEN TRAIL"
- Wrote a Review PARIA VIEWPOINT in Bryce Canyon National Park Things to Do
- created a Bryce Canyon National Park Travel Page "BRYCE CANYON NP - COLORS GONE CRAZY"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Bryce Canyon National Park travel pages
Photos in Bryce Canyon National ParkSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos