"WELLSBORO - GATEWAY TO THE GRAND CANYON" Wellsboro by mtncorg
Wellsboro Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 44 photos
With a population of slightly over 3000 (nearly the same as it has been for the last century), Wellsboro is the county seat for Tioga County. The town offs an attractive main street area with lots of historic buildings - over 600 properties - included in the official historic district. I came through Wellsboro, as no doubt many others have, because the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania lies but a few miles to the west.
Everyone has to have a Grand Canyon and in Pennsylvania’s case, it is Pine Creek Gorge - also known as the Grand canyon of Pennsylvania. The canyon extends some 47 miles/76 km from near US 6 near Wellsboro, southwards. At its deepest, the canyon is 1450 feet/442 m near its southern end. At its most impressive viewpoints - Leonard Harrison and Colton Point State Parks - the canyon is more than 800 feet deep and about 4000 feet/1200 m across. Evolving from the glacial age, Pine Creek used to flow to the northeast but moraine dams pushed up by receding glaciers dammed the creek and a reversal in flow carved out the canyon you see today. The area is reforested since the early 1900’s with enough deciduous trees to make the area quite the draw during the Fall color season. The creek is a popular float, but some of the Gorge trails are even more so. A rail line ran along the creek at the canyon’s bottom for over a hundred years. Today it is a popular 67 mile rail trail open to hiker and bikers going from Ansonia in the north to Jersey Shore in the south. The West Rim trail covers 30 miles along the western edge - hiking only. Casual car-bound visitors can best experience the Gorge from either of the state parks - Leonard Harrison on the east rim and Colton Point on the west.
Railroads seem to have went everywhere once-upon-a-time in Pennsylvania. The Jersey Shore, Pine Creek and Buffalo... more travel advice
Located at the end of PA 660 on the east rim of Pine Creek Gorge some ten miles west of Wellsboro, Leonard Harrison... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Wellsboro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon"
- "My Hometown"
- "Gateway to the Canyon"
- "WELLSBORO - GATEWAY TO THE GRAND CANYON"
- "cword's new Wellsboro Page"
- "windoweb's new Wellsboro Page"
- "Wellsboro, home of PA's Grand Canyon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wellsboro
- Nightlife in Wellsboro
- Restaurants in Wellsboro
- Warnings and Dangers in Wellsboro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wellsboro
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Wellsboro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wellsboro
Photos in WellsboroSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 63 reviews, 239 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 64 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues