"FRIENDSHIP HILL - SWISS SUCCESS STORY IN THE NEW W" Greensboro by mtncorg
Greensboro Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 25 photos
Greens boro is an old center for clay pottery and the home of one nice Bed and Breakfast, but my tips concern a national historic site across the river for which Greensboro is one of the closer VT sites to choose from.
Sitting atop a bluff above the Monongahela River just a few miles north of the West Virginia border is the former home to one of the more interesting figures in early United States political history , Albert Gallatin. Gallatin came to America from Geneva as a very young man living first in Boston, then eventually making his way to the frontier here in western Pennsylvania. He helped develop the neighboring town of New Geneva which by 1800 could boast of a grist mill, gun factory and glassworks. Politics was also a part of his life becoming a congressman (1795-1801), where he led the Democratic-Republican faction and served as a front man for Thomas Jefferson and James Madison during the period of opposition during the John Adams Federalist administration. With Jefferson’s election to President in 1800, Gallatin became the Secretary of Treasury, a spot he held until 1814 through both of Jefferson’s terms and for the better part of Madison’s terms, as well. He was able to reduce the federal debt in half until the War of 1812 came along. He went on to become the Minister of France - 1816-23 - after serving on the American negotiating team - which included one John Quincy Adams - which signed the Treaty of Ghent ending the War of 1812 with Britain. After France, he served as Minister to Britain 1826-27. Before he went to London, Gallatin returned to the U.S.. He had had Friendship Hill enlarged in the hope of retiring there. He played host to the Marquis de La Fayette here in May, 1825 on LaFayette’s farewell tour to America. By the autumn of that same year, however, Hannah, his second wife, had enough of life on the frontier and the family moved to New York City where she was from. Here, Gallatin was to have more active years ahead.
The little village of Greensboro used to be the home for pottery kilns that took advantage of a large clay deposit along... more travel advice
Albert Gallatin married Sophia Allegre in the spring of 1789 and brought her here to Friendship Hill. Sophia fell ill... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Greensboro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FRIENDSHIP HILL - SWISS SUCCESS STORY IN THE NEW W"
- "Dads town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greensboro
- 6 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Greensboro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greensboro
Photos in GreensboroSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos