"ALTOONA - RAILROAD CENTRAL" Top 5 Page for this destination Altoona by mtncorg
Altoona Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 66 photos
Altoona has preserved itself from its glory days as a one-industry town devoted to the many trains making their way across the Allegheny Mountains. The trains still roll through, though the vast numbers once employed has fallen off dramatically. You can find a fine railroad museum located in an old rail workers' union hall in Altoona - admission here includes entry to the Horseshoe Curve several miles to the west. I have focused on three areas along the nearby Allegheny Crest that have featured prominently in local transportation history: Allegheny Portage National Historic Site, Horseshoe Curve and the Gallitzin Tunnel.
Right next to the Allegheny and Gallitzin Tunnels, the local folks have established a small park and museum devoted to... more travel advice
This famous railway curve was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1854 to help trains get up and over the Allegheny... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Altoona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ALTOONA - RAILROAD CENTRAL"
- "MadeleineM's Altoona Christmas Page"
- "Altoona ...in the middle of the Allegheny Mountain"
- "By-passed by the freeway"
- "Blairco's new Altoona Page"
- "Citizen's Advisory Committee on Private Prisons v."
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Altoona
- 8 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Altoona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Altoona
Photos in AltoonaSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 31 reviews, 100 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (61)
Latest Altoona hotel reviews
- Hampton Inn' Altoona
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013