"MCDOWELL CREEK FALLS PARK AND COVERED BRIDGES" Sweet Home by mtncorg

Sweet Home Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 22 photos

When one thinks of waterfalls and Oregon, the Columbia River Gorge is first on everyone's mind. A series of waterfalls east from Salem - Silver Falls - might come second. Way down the list, you will find this little gem of a park hidden away in the hills north of Sweet Home. The park is a fairly small park, but contains four pretty waterfalls within a lush forested canyon, bigleaf maple dripping in moss, Douglas firs towering above. The Park is maintained by Linn County and is known to locals only, for the most part. There are three parking areas with the most developed picnic areas found at the first - westernmost area, signed for Royal Terrace Falls.

Besides McDowell Creek Falls, visitors have access to two large local reservoirs - Foster and Green Peter - as well as three covered bridges - one in active use. A wonderful hike on Cone Peak is included though that is quite a ways to the east on US 20.

• Last visit to Sweet Home: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Aug 31, 2010

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2006 at 3:09 PM

I think I have mentioned that I was raised and graduated from Sweet Home. nice to see the park again.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2005 at 11:37 AM

I want to take a bath in that waterfall NOW

• thecatsmeow's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2004 at 9:50 PM

Well Mark once again you amaze me. I just got back from my class reunion in Sweet Home and I had forgotten all abot the falls. Very nice. =^oo^=

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2004 at 1:46 PM

"Somewhere Over The Rainbow..." Lovely picture, bravo! I saw one beautiful waterfall two days ago, lavish forest and sunshine. Nature is amazing.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2004 at 10:36 AM

What a great name for a place! And beautiful pictures. I'm adding this to my must visit list.

• annk's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2004 at 6:05 AM

The little known about areas are my favorites. So nice to explore a place w/o crowds. Wonderful waterfall pics.

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2004 at 10:19 PM

What a nise colorful photos! Regards, Karolina

mtncorg

“live to learn; learn to live”

Badges & Stats in Sweet Home

Have you been to Sweet Home?