"BURGEONING VACATION CENTER IN CENTRAL OREGON" Sisters by mtncorg
Sisters Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 38 photos
Sisters is a small town on US 20 about 20 miles east of Santiam Pass and 20 miles west of Bend. Originally sited to help care for a small Army post, the town - originally called 'Three Sisters', but shortened by a local postmaster - served as home to forest industry workers until the latter part of the 20th Century. Vacation homes and retirement homes became an industry unto itself. The town fathers decided all architecture in the small business district were to have a design reminiscent of the 1890's. 'Build it and they will come.' With Sisters' case, this has succeeded almost too well, at times, bringing traffic, escalating prices and other problems. What makes Sisters, Sisters is the View - The three grand glacially bedecked volcanoes rising to the southwest over forests and meadows - the Three Sisters. A huge meadow on the west end of town offered a view repeated in countless photographs. Alas, everything is for sale and slowly, but surely, the meadow is being subdivided into housing phases - Phase I, II, III. The surrounding area used to be ranching districts along with logging. The ranches continue, though sometimes it seems that the number of llamas and alpacas outnumber the cows.
In between those three big vocanoes lie a series of lakes know as the Chambers Lakes. They make a grand backpack destination - not unknown among locals. Once you are up in there, you are limited in your wanders by only your ability to read a map, compass or gps.
- Pros:Fantastic mountain and high forest terrain
- Cons:Weekend traffic jams and skyrocketing real estate prices
- In a nutshell:Many people think you have to have a house here to enjoy it. You don't.
Another very popular trail near McKenzie Pass is the Obsidian Trail. This trail leaves OR 242 6.2 miles west of the Pass... more travel advice
To the north, off of either Belknap Crater or Little Belknap, Mt Washington is the next volcano in line, but Three... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Sisters Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BURGEONING VACATION CENTER IN CENTRAL OREGON"
- "A Really Big Quilt show in July"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sisters
- Hotels in Sisters
- Nightlife in Sisters
- Restaurants in Sisters
- Warnings and Dangers in Sisters
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sisters
- 25 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Sisters?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sisters
Photos in SistersSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 63 reviews, 239 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 64 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues