"PRAIRIE CITY - GATEWAY TO THE STRAWBERRY MOUNTAINS" Prairie City by mtncorg
Prairie City Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 7 photos
Hidden away from the Portland and Willamette Valley metroplexes, the small, compact Strawberry Wilderness Area is located just south of Prairie City and east of John Day, both small communities accessible from US 26. The wilderness area is not very large, comprising a long narrow protective zone along the crest of the range. Forests, alpine lakes and far-reaching views greet the few visitors who do manage to venture out this far. Most of the Area’s visitors will be found fishing in the Upper or Lower Strawberry Lakes - the Lower Lake being only 1.5 miles in from the road end just south of Prairie City. The town itself is oriented towards the ranches and logging industry of the region. There are a few hot springs in the area. Careful investigation and you can discover where they are for a nice soak after scurrying about on the peaks. Nearby John Day features an museum devoted to an early Chinese settler who ran his own 19th century pharmacy, among other occupations.
This trail runs for 14 miles and traverse the wilderness area, which is itself about 18 miles long and 2-5 miles wide,... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Prairie City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PRAIRIE CITY - GATEWAY TO THE STRAWBERRY MOUNTAINS"
- "Strawberry Mountain Wilderness Area"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prairie City
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Prairie City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prairie City
Photos in Prairie CitySee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 68 reviews, 172 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 62 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue