"EARLY ENVIRONMENTALIST REMEMBERED" Oswald West State Park by mtncorg
Oswald West State Park Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 32 photos
Oswald West was Oregon's governor from 1911 to 1915. He built a weekend/vacation cabin just above the beach near Haystack Rock in what is now Cannon Beach in 1911. As a part-time Coastal resident, West was well aware that the beaches were used as a main road in the pre-auto era. In 1913, he recognized that fact officially and declared that all wet sand areas - the inter-tidal zone - to be a part of the public domain. This action was later backed up by the Legislature and would become the basis for later environmental actions in the mid 1960's which would enlarge upon West's protective actions. To remember the actions of Governor West, the State has named this gorgeous Park after him. The Park protects the headlands of Neahkanie Mountain and Cape Falcon - two rugged areas which served to isolate the Nehalem and Tillamook Valleys to the south from the Clatsop Plains and beaches to the north. The heart of the Park is the Short Sand Beach in Smuggler's Cove - reached by a .75 mile trail dropping down through primeval rain forest. Beaches, tidal pools, rain forests and splendid hikes all await the visitor to this fine example of what the Oregon Coast was once before the vacation home sprawl expansion of recent years.
You can reach Cape Falcon by foot either from the trailhead parking on US 101 or from Short Sand Beach by turning north... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Oswald West State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Surf's Up!"
- "EARLY ENVIRONMENTALIST REMEMBERED"
- "Spectacular Cliffs along Highway 101"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oswald West State Park
- Hotels in Oswald West State Park
- Restaurants in Oswald West State Park
- Shopping in Oswald West State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Oswald West State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oswald West State Park
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Oswald West State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oswald West State Park
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Apostrophes in photo captions"
- Uploaded a Photo to "CAPE FALCON"
- updated a Oswald West State Park Travel Page "EARLY ENVIRONMENTALIST REMEMBERED"
- Wrote a Review CAPE FALCON in Oswald West State Park Things to Do
- Commented on one of Jonathan_C's Oswald West State Park travel pages
Photos in Oswald West State ParkSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 68 reviews, 172 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 62 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue