"LITTLE GEM BETWEEN THE CAPES" Oceanside by mtncorg
Oceanside Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 17 photos
Oceanside is a small little town that pushes up the south side of a headland next to Three Arch Rocks. It is about 10 miles to the west of Tillamook - about 1.5 - 2 hours west of Portland - lying just south of Cape Meares and north of the entrance to Netarts Bay. The town used to be a very quiet collection of mostly vacation homes, but has grown into the somewhat overbuilt affair of today. Now, you won't mistake this for a New Jersey or Massachusettes beach, for sure, but you won't see it in its more pristine state of 40 years ago, either. Damn, I am getting old!!!! Times change and sprawl we must.
There is a plethora of vacation homes you can rent - even over the internet, simply use a search engine and input 'Oceanside Oregon rental'. The beaches to the south are wide. Tidepools lie along the rocks around the headland - Maxwell Point - with an amazing variety of life within. Rock cliffs and sea stacks are rookeries for thousands of birds. Sea lions are numerous and sea food is fresh. Nearby to the north - one mile - is the Cape Meares lighthouse and the long sand spit of the Bayocean peninsula separating the Tillamook Bay from the open ocean. To the south, Netarts Bay and Cape Lookout provide an estuarine ecological encyclopedia.
- Pros:Sealife, tidepools, beaches, bays and capes
- Cons:Getting too popular for its own good
- In a nutshell:Still one of the best weekend coastal destinations from Portland
Sea lions are really only a danger if you are a fisherman with a fish on your line. At one point, these mammals were on... more travel advice
Cape Lookout State Park lies about 12 miles west of Tillamook on the south end of Netarts Bay. It is semiwild, the road... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Oceanside Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LITTLE GEM BETWEEN THE CAPES"
- "Once a Quiet Community, Now a Tourist Destination"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oceanside
- Hotels in Oceanside
- Transportation in Oceanside
- Restaurants in Oceanside
- Warnings and Dangers in Oceanside
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oceanside
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Oceanside?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oceanside
Photos in OceansideSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 31 reviews, 100 photos