"JOHN DAY FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT" John Day Fossil Beds National Monument by mtncorg
John Day Fossil Beds National Monument Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 31 photos
Three separate units in central Oregon were united into one National Monument in 1975 as the John Day Fossil Beds NM. The units are separated by over 100 miles of road and each unit is a bit distinct from the others. The first paleontologist making the area known was Thomas Condon, an amateur geologist and full-time Congregational minister from The Dalles. His discoveries excited the late 19th century American pale ontological establishment. His stature grew such that Oregon governor La Fayette Grover promoted Condon to the post of State Geologist - a first for Oregon. This led to his departure from the clergy and on to a post as professor of geology at the University of Oregon in Eugene.
The separate units are unique enough that, with time, you should venture to each. Fossil collecting is not allowed in the park units so to collect some 30 million year impressions of subtropical forests, I direct you to the fossil beds behind the football field of Wheeler High School in the little nearby town of Fossil. Fossils are best seen at the Condon Paleontological Center a few miles north of US 26 in the Sheep Head unit. There are also exhibits to be found along the trails in each of the three units. The fossils date back to 18 to 39 million years with large fossils being mammalian. Older fossils are found at Clarno while some rock formations in the park dates to around 100 million years of age.
This is a little visited region of Oregon, but it is an area of genuine beauty with interesting historical contexts from both the 19th century and more modern times.
The Sheep Rock Unit is home to the Monument headquarters, as well as being the grounds where the most important fossils... more travel advice
Driving east on US 26 from the intersection of US 26/OR 19 a couple miles south of the Condon Paleontological Center,... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
John Day Fossil Beds National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Painted Hills"
- "JOHN DAY FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT"
- "Rainbow Hills!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in John Day Fossil Beds National Monument
- Hotels in John Day Fossil Beds National Monument
- Shopping in John Day Fossil Beds National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in John Day Fossil Beds National Monument
- 5 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to John Day Fossil Beds National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in John Day Fossil Beds National Monument
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Apostrophes in photo captions"
- Wrote a Review SHEEP ROCK UNIT - JOHN DAY FOSSIL BEDS NM in John Day Fossil Beds National Monument Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "SHEEP ROCK UNIT - JOHN DAY FOSSIL BEDS NM"
- created a John Day Fossil Beds National Monument Travel Page "JOHN DAY FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT"
Photos in John Day Fossil Beds National MonumentSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 63 reviews, 239 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 64 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues