"HOOD RIVER - ADVENTURE EPICENTER" Top 5 Page for this destination Hood River by mtncorg
Hood River Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 131 photos
There was a time that Hood River devoted itself to storing the bountiful harvests from fruit orchards lying south in the valleys of the Hood River. Economic doldrums emptied the warehouses and the town slowly declined. At what seemed the lowest point, the winds of change began to blow strong. Geography and meteorology combine to guarantee strong sustained winds that blow east or west along the Columbia River through the Columbia River Gorge. A broad reach - ask KristaB if this is correct - is the fastest point of sail, where you sail 90 degrees away from the wind direction - in this case, on the Columbia, you would be sailing across the river - north to south or vice versa. The constant winds began in the 80's to attract windsurfers from around the globe. Windsurfers tend to be affluent. That affluency has transformed Hood River into a tourist center. The downtown area has transformed itself into a chic center, while not completely losing its older soul. Restaurants, hotels, businesses of all sorts have sprung up here. Many shut down if the wind is blowing strong, since that is the reason the owners have relocated here. Hood River is a fun town in the center of many other outdoor activities, as well. It is a great place to experience the variety of the Pacific Northwest.
- Pros:Outdoor extravaganza, gustatory delights, natural beauty
- Cons:Windy most of the time; Icy some of the time
- In a nutshell:Maybe one of Oregon's Best Destinations
Lying a few miles west of the small town of Lyle, in the heart of the Columbia Gorge area known as the Syncline is the... more travel advice
High on the ridge from Dog Mt near the Collumbia River, north in to the high lakes and peaks of Indian Heaven, is the... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Hood River Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HOOD RIVER - ADVENTURE EPICENTER"
- "Road to Hood River, Oregon"
- "Hood River"
- "More than just a mountain view"
- "Hood River Valey Tastes :o)"
- "rustreckless's new Hood River Page"
- "Heart of the Columbia River Gorge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hood River
- Hotels in Hood River
- Transportation in Hood River
- Restaurants in Hood River
- Warnings and Dangers in Hood River
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hood River
- 13 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Hood River?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hood River
Photos in Hood RiverSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos