"FLORENCE - SEA LIONS, DUNES AND COVERED BRIDGES" Top 5 Page for this destination Florence by mtncorg
Florence Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 513 photos
Almost 7000 call Florence home - many are retirees. The town is located near the mouth of the Siuslaw River and got its start as a lumber port. A French ship of the name 'Florence' shipwrecked near here, lending inspiration for the town's name. Like other older communities along the Coast (Astoria, Newport, Bandon), Florence has restored its historic Old Town and the results are quite tasteful. Shops, restaurants and a riverside boardwalk are all back dropped by one of Conde McCullough's most graceful bridges.
To the north, lie the dramatic headlands around Heceta Head - some of the most dramatic scenery that the Oregon Coast has to offer. To the south, 50 miles of spectacular sand dunes which rise to almost 500 feet in height - see Worldtrekker's Oregon pages for more on this unique ecosystem - best explored on foot ... maybe, with a gps in hand, too ;-]
Found just off OR 36 roughly halfway between the Coast and the Willamette Valley, this bridge – like the nearby Deadwood... more travel advice
This bridge is a bit removed from Florence, located about halfway between Eugene and Florence just off the main highway... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A bond in the family"
- "FLORENCE - SEA LIONS, DUNES AND COVERED BRIDGES"
- "Ken's Afternoon in Florence"
- "City in the Sand Dunes"
- "Birchy's Second Home Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 10 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most visited travel pages."
- updated a Florence Travel Page "FLORENCE - SEA LIONS, DUNES AND COVERED BRIDGES"
- Wrote a Review LAKE CREEK/NELSON MOUNTAIN BRIDGE in Florence Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "LAKE CREEK/NELSON MOUNTAIN BRIDGE"
- Commented on one of KimberlyAnn's Florence travel pages
Photos in FlorenceSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos