"DEPOE BAY - WORLD'S SMALLEST HARBOR" Depoe Bay by mtncorg
Depoe Bay Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 24 photos
There are many magical spots along the Oregon Coast and Depoe Bay is one. Named for a local native American, Thomas Depot - an early postmaster took it upon himself to change the spelling - Depot Bay offers the road bound traveler a chance to witness the drama of the ocean directly. Especially during or after storms, waves churn in and spouting horns shoot up over the parking along US 101. It is a popular stopping point and there are a lot of little touristy venues which hope to garner a little of your cash. The 6-acre harbor is the World's smallest - according to the Guinness people. Former times commercial boats used the harbor, though now the harbor is used by charter sports fishing - and whale watching tours, in season. The entrance to the small bay is a narrow cleft in the basaltic cliffs - not much wider than that found farther south at Devil's Churn. You line your boat up correctly and you are in the ocean or the quiet bay instantly. Line it up incorrectly and....
see depoe bay for more information regarding lodging, food, fishing and whale watching charters
Fishing charter boats go in and out of the harbor in search of the bounty of ocean fish located outside - halibut,... more travel advice
A dramatic wayside park along US 101 just north of Depoe Bay, Boiler Bay presents a dramatic view over the breakers... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Depoe Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DEPOE BAY - WORLD'S SMALLEST HARBOR"
- "'Whale Watching Capital'"
- "Depoe Bay Page"
- "Bugsmom's new Depoe Bay Page"
- "The Smallest Navigable Harbour"
- "The Small but Lovely Town of Depoe Bay"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Depoe Bay
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Depoe Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Depoe Bay
Photos in Depoe BaySee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 63 reviews, 239 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 64 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues