"Crater Lake is Oregon's 'National' Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Crater Lake National Park by mtncorg
Crater Lake National Park Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 433 photos
Oregon only has one 'National Park'. There is plenty of terrain that could probably be serving of the status, but it is probably better the way it is. National Parks have a way of attracting too much attention to a fragile piece of wilderness. By maintaining large tracts of 'wilderness' areas, the Federal government is probably performing a more useful method of protecting what we have.
Crater Lake is not unique, even in Oregon. It is the best example of a huge volcano that has imploded in on itself. Orginally, Mt Mazama, in size, was on the order of the nearby much younger Mt Shasta, in California. With time, the mountain collapsed on itself, leaving a huge basin - caldera - within which water collected forming the lake. The lake is almost 2000 feet deep with cliffs rising another 2000 feet above. The Park's activities are mainly located on the rim of the crater, especially in the SW corner of the rim next to the restored lodge. The drive around the rim, either from the car or on bike, is a highlight. To witness the lake from a myriad of viewpoints is to better appreciate the lake. There are several outstanding hikes of fairly short duration off the Rim Road you can take to even more spectacular views: the Watchman, Mt Scott or Garfield Peak. You can take a boat tour from Cleetwood Cove, accessed by a mile trail from the Rim Road above at the NW corner of the lake. Go early in the day if you can. Boat tours are usually fininshed when Labor Day weekend is over, the first Monday in September. Remember, though, that the elevation is at 7000 feet - actually higher than the ski areas on Mt Hood - Timberline Lodge - and as such, the entire Rim Road does not clear off until late in the summer and then for a short time only, as winter returns early up here.
- Pros:Fantastic Lake and super study in Volcanism
- Cons:Short season and with lots of late snow lying around
- In a nutshell:How do they make that water so Blue?!
The Clark's Nutcracker is a pretty little bird that is probably bolder, in general, thatn even a blue jay, which says... more travel advice
Atop this peak, 1.7 miles from the Rim Village, you gain some of the grandest views of the Lake. Wizard Island and the... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Crater Lake National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Crater Lake National Park Page"
- "Crater Lake National Park"
- "Reflections of Crater Lake"
- "The purest body of water in the world!"
- "Crater Lake is Oregon's 'National' Park"
- "Jewel in the Cascades"
- "Where Else Can You Swim in a Volcano?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Crater Lake National Park
- Hotels in Crater Lake National Park
- Transportation in Crater Lake National Park
- Nightlife in Crater Lake National Park
- Restaurants in Crater Lake National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Crater Lake National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Crater Lake National Park
- 13 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Crater Lake National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crater Lake National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most visited travel pages."
- updated a Crater Lake National Park Travel Page "Crater Lake is Oregon's 'National' Park"
- Commented on one of Hopkid's Crater Lake National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS"
- Wrote a Review DON'T FEED THE ANIMALS in Crater Lake National Park Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Crater Lake National ParkSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos