"BEND - ADRENALIN CENTER FOR OREGON" Top 5 Page for this destination Bend by mtncorg
Bend Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 140 photos
Bend has changed immensely in the last two decades. Over 80000 call Bend 'home' today. The city got its start as a small townsite on a railway in the the early years of the 20th Century. Its pleasant site along the Deschutes River and proximity to grand outdoor activities, especially the World Class skiing found at nearby Mt Bachelor, has led many to fall in love with the area, either to retire, live or have a second home here. The small downtown, along with areas immediately south and west of the middle core and the gorgeous riverside Drake Park - named for the City's founder and not for the many male ducks seen swimming in the river along the Park banks - provide glimpses at an earlier Bend. Real estate and house building seems to be the number one industry as subdivisions morph and swell the city. Though downtown remains the hub for restaurants and shops, other developments have arisen to vie for attention in the Old Mill area south of downtown and small mall projects to the east along US 97. The number two industry - which directly leads to the number one - is tourism. Countless hotels, motels, vacation home rentals, restaurants, outdoor and ski shops all are found here. Even with a large number of hotel rooms, the city fills up on summer and winter weekends. The atmosphere is young here with so much to do outside. Nothing like skiing on Mt Bachelor; climbing one of the Three Sisters; fishing on the Deschutes; hiking in the Lava Beds or horseback riding over in Tumalo finished off with a cold beer from one of the local several microbreweries!
- Pros:Close to Outdoor Wonders; Quaint downtown
- Cons:Mushrooming growth could sap some of the Appeal
- In a nutshell:Pole, Pedal, Paddle
Bend developed as a railroad town slowly growing until the late 1970’s with the development of the nearby ski area at Mt... more travel advice
Another of the pioneers of the microbrewing revolution, Deschutes Brewing was formed early in the initial waves - 1988.... more travel advice
Written Jul 2, 2004
CLIMBING THE SOUTH SISTER - VIRTUALLY;-\
Written Jul 2, 2004
FLOWERS OF TUMALO
mtncorg's Related Pages
Bend Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEND - ADRENALIN CENTER FOR OREGON"
- "Bend- The City of My Dreams"
- "Gorgeous Bend, Oregon!"
- "Bend, Oregon"
- "Bend, Oregon ~ The Perfect Getaway!"
- "The Pine Tavern"
- "uiscebeatha2's new Bend Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bend
- Hotels in Bend
- Transportation in Bend
- Nightlife in Bend
- Restaurants in Bend
- Warnings and Dangers in Bend
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bend
- 13 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Bend?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bend
Photos in BendSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos