"RHYOLITE BOOM AND BUST" Top 5 Page for this destination Rhyolite by mtncorg
Rhyolite Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 112 photos
Gold was the impetus for Rhyolite's short liefspan - basically 1905-1910. Big brick buildings were erected with a confident eye to the future. Train lines, newspapers, banks and six thousand people flocked here at the town's peak in 1908. The streets downtown boasted electric lights. By 1920, the town was empty. Recent years have seen an Australian gold mining firm spend a $100 million bringing in newer strip mining and cyanide processing techniques to comb over the old goldfields in a much more 'complete' fashion. You can wander about the old townsite which is preserved after a fashion under the guise of the BLM - Bureau of Land Management. Most travellers can make the short side trip to Rhyolite off the highway connecting Furnace Creek in Death Valley to US 95 in nearby Beatty.
At the town's height, three railroads came into Rhyolite. The train station is evidence of what once was. After the rail... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Rhyolite Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Rhylolite~A town not lost!"
- "RHYOLITE BOOM AND BUST"
- "Money makes history!"
- "The fallen glory..."
- "Rhyolite: Ghost City in the Amargosa"
- "Ghost Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rhyolite
- Restaurants in Rhyolite
- Warnings and Dangers in Rhyolite
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rhyolite
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Rhyolite?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rhyolite
Photos in RhyoliteSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos