"GOLDFIELD - BOOM AND BUST" Top 5 Page for this destination Goldfield by mtncorg
Goldfield Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 106 photos
Two miners grubstaked by Tonopah's leading light, Jim Butler, discovered gold around here in 1903, just 25 miles south of Tonopah - thus silver does lead to gold. Tonopah had been Nevada's largest boomtown since Virginia City in the mid 19th Century, but gold fever rages harder and stronger than the silver variety, even here in the Silver State. Goldfield erupted and became Nevada's largest town with 15000 to 20000 from 1903 to 1910. Over $86 million in gold was taken from the hillsides, but when the main mines closed in 1919, the town quickly began to fade away.
Goldfield became the county seat of the then much-enlarged Esmeralda County, much to the dismay of the then county seat, Hawthorne - Hawthorne could exult anew when the new Mineral County was carved out of Esmeralda in 1911 with Hawthorne as the seat of that county. The mines of Goldfield were depleted faster than those of Tonopah and only several hundred remain behind today, either still mining or working for one branch of the government or another. Much of the rest of Esmeralda County has since folded up as well with other boom towns housing only ghosts today - Palmetto, Gold Point, Silver Peak. Several interesting stone building remain from Goldfield's boom times - the Courthouse, the Goldfield Hotel, the Goldfield High School as well as one of Goldfield's oldest continuous running businesses, the Santa Fe Saloon.
Prostitution is legal in the US only in certain counties of Nevada. It is illegal in the two most populous counties even... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Goldfield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Last Great Gold Camp"
- "The Goldfield Hotel"
- "Goldfield - Nevada"
- "GOLDFIELD - BOOM AND BUST"
- "Goldfield (Population 400)"
- "Interesting Pit Stop"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goldfield
- Hotels in Goldfield
- Transportation in Goldfield
- Restaurants in Goldfield
- Shopping in Goldfield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goldfield
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (177)
Have you been to Goldfield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goldfield
Photos in GoldfieldSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue