"CALIENTE - HOT SPOT ON US 93 ON THE UP RAILROAD" Caliente by mtncorg
Caliente Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 18 photos
Towns in Nevada are 'boom-bust' affairs involving either mining or - in this case - railroads. Set in a pretty canyon, local springs provided late 19th Century railroaders with water for their steam engines and a route was put in by Union Pacific - after a local 'disagreement' with another rail company which UP reluctantly went into partnership with - which ran from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles. Caliente became a main division point along this line and the town that developed was a quintessential company town - company row housing can be seen along US 93 just north of the main train depot area. In 1948, diesels replaced steam engines and rail facilities were moved to Las Vegas. That might have been it for Caliente but for US 93 and the fact that UP did not completely move away.
This is a traveler's main stop between Las Vegas and Ely with a couple of gas stations, restaurants and three motels. If you are traveling late, heed the words of VT's own Caliente connection dubmiller. The town shuts down at 10 PM, actually only one gas station is open that late - and the little casino - most of the rest of the town has closed up long before 10. I also agree with dubmiller's comment regarding the Branding Iron as the place to eat in town. See my Accommodation tip for my choice on the place to stay.
The large Union Pacific rail depot was built in a Californian Mission style back in 1923 when Caliente was a bustling... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Caliente Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CALIENTE - HOT SPOT ON US 93 ON THE UP RAILROAD"
- "Caliente - Old train station."
- "caliente kid"
- "Basaic Caliente Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caliente
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (177)
Have you been to Caliente?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caliente
Photos in CalienteSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos