"UNITY VILLAGE" Unity Village by mtncorg

Unity Village Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 8 photos

Who would have thought of Kansas City as a Midwestern version of Rome, Jerusalem or Mecca. Not only does one find the Mormon faith complexes in nearby Independence, but here at Unity Village on the southeastern edge of Kansas City is the impressive headquarter complex for the Association of Unity Churches.

Unity grew out of the New Thought movement of the late 19th century and the Unity Association is probably the largest product of the movement. Founded by Charles and Myrtle Fillmore in 1889, there are today over 1000 churches scattered about the World. Followers consider themselves to be Christian though mainstream Christianity would probably disagree with their definitions.

Originally 58 acres were purchased in 1919 to serve as a weekend retreat for the Fillmores and their followers - the church was then centered in downtown Kansas City - and today encompasses over 1400 acres with the entire complex being incorporated into the municipality of Unity Village, since 1953. To visit Unity Village, first stop at the Bookstore on the southeast edge of the campus, just next to the large parking lot you come upon when coming through the main entrance. At the bookstore you can pick up a map/brochure which gives you the information you need for a self guided tour of the complex.

Travel directions to Unity Village

FROM THE NORTH AND MCI AIRPORT (St. Joseph, Omaha, etc.):
Coming from the airport, take I-435 East (Exit 14) toward St. Louis. After about 10 miles, I-435 will curve to the south and become I-435 South. Stay on I-435 South across I-35 and the Missouri River until you get to I-70 East (Exit 63B). Exit on I-70 East toward St. Louis. (Note: The exit ramp goes off the left side of the highway). Stay on I-70 East for about 10 1/2 miles to I-470/Highway 291 South (Exit 15A) toward Lee’s Summit. Exit right (south) on I-470/291 South. Stay on I-470 for about 6 1/2 miles to Colbern Road (Exit 10A). Exit at Colbern Road and turn right (west). Follow Colbern straight ahead for about 2 miles and turn right at the yellow blinking light and into Unity Village.

• Last visit to Unity Village: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 17, 2008

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2008 at 7:41 PM

It is interesting, I like the way how you write.

• Jul 7, 2008 at 5:26 AM

Such a unique & interesting location. I like the name of the town especially.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2008 at 9:12 AM

Interesting tips about a completely off the beaten path location - and complete with a prayer link!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Hi Mark, I just wanted to have a look at your new page. Nice weather when you were there, but too bad the fountains were turned off for renovation. Judging from your travel directions, this must be a very out-of-the-way place.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM

interesting info about a town i never heard about before. does sound like a place worth visiting though.

mtncorg

“live to learn; learn to live”

Badges & Stats in Unity Village

Have you been to Unity Village?

Latest Activity in Unity Village