"SHARPSBURG - QUIET BEFORE THE STORM" Sharpsburg by mtncorg
Sharpsburg Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 75 photos
This quiet little rural Maryland town dates back into the 18th Century. On the farm fields surrounding the town, one of the fiercest battles of the American Civil War was waged on September 17, 1862, a day know as the single bloodiest day of the War in terms of casualties on both sides. The battle brought an end to Robert Lee's first invasion of the North and through Abraham Lincoln's subsequent Emancipation Proclamation, changed the nature of the War from one of simply being fought to preserve the Union but also one to abolish slavery - thus, making it very difficult for Confederate-leaning European nations to intervene.
The town of Sharpsburg has maintained its 19th Century flavor with its stone houses and history. It makes a great base for visiting not only the battlefield, but many other nearby areas of both historical and natural bents. Also, located on the eastern edge of the town is the solemn Antietam National Cemetery in which almost 5000 Federal soldiers - over 1800 whose identity is unknown - are buried.
There a couple of interesting monuments of note in the Antietam National Cemetery. One is another monument to the 20th... more travel advice
On top of a hill on the east end of Sharpsburg sits the Antietam National Cemetery. There were some 23000 casualties as... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Sharpsburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beachdave's new Sharpsburg Page"
- "sharpsburg, maryland"
- "Sharpsburg Caught in the middle of War"
- "General Lee's First Defeat"
- "SHARPSBURG - QUIET BEFORE THE STORM"
- "Sharpsburg & the Battle of Antietam"
- "Antietam National Battlefield"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sharpsburg
- 5 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (273)
Have you been to Sharpsburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sharpsburg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Any Last Regrets?"
- mtncorg updated an itinerary CIVIL WAR WANDERS IN THE EASTERN THEATER.
- Wrote a Review OTHER CEMETERY MONUMENTS in Sharpsburg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Local Pub to ease the History"
- created a Sharpsburg Travel Page "SHARPSBURG - QUIET BEFORE THE STORM"
Photos in SharpsburgSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 64 reviews, 244 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 178 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 41 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos