"EMMITTSBURG - CATHOLICISM AND HOMELAND SECURITY" Emmitsburg by mtncorg
Emmitsburg Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 45 photos
Emmittsburg is a cute little town along US 15 which traverse the eastern base of Catoctin Mountain en route to Gettysburg, a few miles to the north. The town is best know as the home of the National Shrine to the first American-born Catholic saint, Elizabeth Ann Seton. She was a teaching sister living and working in this area in the early 19th Century. She converted to catholicism after her husband died - she had already had several children - and she had traveled to Italy. Here in the then wilderness of western Maryland, she found a new life and established a community - Sisters of Charity - based upon helping others. The order she founded survives today as the Daughters of Charity, still facing tasks similar to those faced by Mother Seton in her time. She was beatified in 1963 and proclaimed a saint in 1974 by Pope Paul VI. Two Catholic colleges used to be here in Emmittsburg, as well, with one surviving - Mount St Mary's University, which occupies a beautiful location alongside the west side of US 15 and the base of Catoctin Mountain. There is a well-known seminary that is associated with the university here, too. The other college - St Joseph's - was purchased by the Federal government and is the home of the National Emergency Training Center. Somehow, it is kind of appropriate for the centerpiece for a center devoted to possible disasters to be a big chapel. If all else fails, pray?
Next to the Grotto you can find the small stone Corpus Christi Chapel that was built in 1905. Next to this is the first... more travel advice
I have no idea how many replicas of the French original there are in the World - probably easy enough to google though,... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Emmitsburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Emmitsburg, MD"
- "EMMITTSBURG - CATHOLICISM AND HOMELAND SECURITY"
- "Marca's Emmitsburg Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Emmitsburg
- 9 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Emmitsburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Emmitsburg
Photos in EmmitsburgSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 64 reviews, 244 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 64 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues