"BIRTHPLACE OF AN UNCOMMON MAN FOR UNCOMMON TIMES" West Branch by mtncorg
West Branch Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 17 photos
Ten miles east of the university town of Iowa City, just off I-80, is
the little town of West Branch. A little over 2100 people call this home.
Back in 1874, when Herbert Hoover was born, there were only
about 350 people living here. Hoover's father, Jesse, was a blacksmith who died when
Herbert was only six, forcing his mother, Hulda, to raise her three
children alone. Four years later, she died from complications escalating
from a common cold and the children were orphaned. Herbert lived for a
short time with an uncle on a nearby farm before, at age 11, being sent
to live with Hulda's brother, Dr Henry John Minthorn, and his family in
Newberg, Oregon where Minthorn was superintendent at the Friends Pacific Academy – a Quaker school, now George Fox University.
From these humble beginnings on the plains of Iowa, Herbert Hoover went on to a very long adventurous career taking him far beyond the little community of West Branch. Stanford University graduate (geology), mining engineer, millionaire by age 40 and then a forty year career in public service including one term as the 31st President of the United States from 1929-1932. He is the perfect example of a self-made man and it was from this little Iowan town where his journey began.
Also found here is the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum with archives and exhibits on the former President’s life. www.hoover.nara.gov
Herbert Hoover’s 90 year-life ended on 20 October 1964. He is buried here under Vermont marble with his wife, Lou (she... more travel advice
Hoover was born into a Quaker family – one that helped to settle West Branch. The Quakers, or Religious Society of... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
West Branch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BIRTHPLACE OF AN UNCOMMON MAN FOR UNCOMMON TIMES"
- "Herbert Hoover National Historic Site"
- "Basaic West Branch/Herbert Hoover Page"
- "Really about Springdale...."
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in West Branch
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to West Branch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in West Branch
Photos in West BranchSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 31 reviews, 100 photos