"LAMONI - THE REORGANIZATION COALESCES" Lamoni by mtncorg
Lamoni Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 23 photos
If you go to Utah or States neighboring around, you will find many communities where the majority of the population is Mormon of the Latter-Day Saints (LDS) version. Lamoni is one of the few communities where the Reorganized Latter-Day Saints (RLDS)/Community of Christ is in preponderance. The idea of ‘gathering’ or coming together from their disparate communities was always strong within the different branches of the Mormon diaspora - there were very strong strains of millenarianism throughout 19th century Mormonism and the RLDS community was affected by these ideas as well. In the 1870’s, several RLDS church businessmen formed a joint stock company naming it the Order of Enoch in honor of earlier Mormon attempts at communal living in Kirtland, Ohio. They purchased over 3200 acres in the area and encouraged the ‘Reorganized Saints’ to migrate here. The town was platted in 1879 with the arrival of the railroad and became the headquarters of the RLDS movement when church leader Joseph Smith III moved his family here from Plano, Illinois in 1881. The town still maintains a strong RLDS/Community of Christ community - the large church on Main Street just west of the right angle US route 69 makes as it turns from east-west on Main Street to north-south as it continues on State Street. Graceland University is the RLDS/Community of Christ equivalent of Brigham Young University or Notre Dame and the school remains an important part of the cultural and economic fabric of Lamoni today.
In 1836, shortly after the expulsion of Mormons from Independence and Jackson County, the town of Far West was founded.... more travel advice
French communalists relocated here after the closing of their community in Nauvoo, Illinois. They had a 46 year run as a... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Lamoni Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LAMONI - THE REORGANIZATION COALESCES"
- "Well worth getting off I-35"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lamoni
- 8 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Lamoni?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lamoni
Photos in LamoniSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos