"Sierra Nevada at its Best - SEQUOIA NAT PARK" Sequoia National Park by mtncorg
Sequoia National Park Travel Guide: 301 reviews and 653 photos
When you think of Sequoia NP, you probably think of the gigantic trees found in groves near the 7000 foot/2121 meter level - and rightfully so. These trees are magnificence personified. Their ancient age and tremendous girth are incredible to behold. But to think of vast forests of sequoias is to think wrong. You have to go many miles even after entering the Park, before reaching the trees at Giant Grove. Sequoia NP is the smallest of the three Sierran national parks, but even at that, the Park stretches across Range of Light from the giant sequoian groves in the west to the top of the highest peak in the Lower 48 States - Mt Whitney. Like neighboring Kings Canyon NP to the north, Sequoia NP is a park of vast backcountry wilderness. Geography, topography and politics have left a contiguous park meade up of many different parts - low deep canyons, high forested plains, steep mountain peaks and vast alpine basins.
As with Kings Canyon NP, the casual tourist will only get glimpses of the awesome nature of Sequoia NP. Grand trails take off from CA 198 - the Generals Highway - allowing you to explore for days, weeks or months. The casual visitor will see the General Sherman Tree - the World's largest living thing. A visitors center, campgrounds and other amenities are centered in and around here. For the rest of the Prak's highlights you will need backcountry permits, for they lay far off the roads. Main entry points include the Generals Highway, the Mineral King road and passes along the eastern Sierra crest accessed of US 395: Kearsarge Pass via Onion Valley (see Independence tips); rugged Shepherd Pass (just south of Onion Valley); Mt Whitney trail - complicated quota and permit system in place (- see the Mt Whitney ranger station website for the latest details) and the passes out of the Cottonwood Lakes in the southeast corner of the Park.
- Pros:Mighty trees, peaks, canyons
- Cons:Gets busy around the Giant Grove
- In a nutshell:Worlds within Worlds
The first pass developed by the US Army is here. You can save 700 feet and maybe about one mile in using this older pass... more travel advice
Pick your way slowly across and up the south slopes of Mt Langley. Breath deeply and go slowly. There is no shade and... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Sequoia National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I Had to Tell a Tree about a Girl: Sequoia"
- "Sequoia National Park:California Family Adventure"
- "Sequoias reside in mountainous terrain"
- "The hidden park"
- "Sierra Nevada at its Best - SEQUOIA NAT PARK"
- "SEQUOIA & KINGS CANYON NATIONAL PARK"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sequoia National Park
- Hotels in Sequoia National Park
- Transportation in Sequoia National Park
- Nightlife in Sequoia National Park
- Restaurants in Sequoia National Park
- Shopping in Sequoia National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Sequoia National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sequoia National Park
- 12 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Sequoia National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sequoia National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most visited travel pages."
- Commented on one of chewy3326's Sequoia National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review OLD ARMY PASS in Sequoia National Park Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "OLD ARMY PASS"
- created a Sequoia National Park Travel Page "Sierra Nevada at its Best - SEQUOIA NAT PARK"
Photos in Sequoia National ParkSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 31 reviews, 100 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (61)
Latest Sequoia National Park hotel reviews
- Wuksachi Lodge & Village
- 584 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013