"Good skiing but Unreal hiking and climbing" Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Lakes by mtncorg

Mammoth Lakes Travel Guide: 252 reviews and 499 photos

Mammoth Lakes is the busiest tourist center in the Eastern Sierra. It is so for very good reasons: world class skiing, superb alpine scenery, superb outdoor opportunities - bike, hike, climb, horsecamp, backpack, fly fish, or just sit in some of the best hot springs around.

The area bustles and booms with tourism. Ski season is big. People from the San Francisco Bay area gravitate towards the ski areas around Lake Tahoe, further north - Heavenly Mountain, Squaw Valley - but here you have SoCal on the slopes. Los Angelenos on the move. It is nearly a 6 hour drive from LA, but many do it for a weekend of skiing. The mountain is a dormant volcano ringed with ski lifts - not unlike Mt Bachelor in Oregon.

For me, the area is best in September - after the kids are back in school. Many people think the mountains close down after Labor Day, but that is when they come into their own. Fewer people; the air can become more settled; the nights do become crisper and a little longer, so bring along a good friend to share the beauty with.

I am a hiker, so most of my pages will be devoted to dayhikes you can do in the immediate area. there are several campgrounds in the area and many hotels, motels, bed&breakfasts, fastfood stops, bakeries, not-so-fast food stops, grocery stores, gas stations, services of all kind here in Mammoth Lakes - even a brewpub.

• Pros:World Class outdoor activity
  • Cons:Summer and Winter can be busy
  • Intro Written May 9, 2003

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2006 at 6:08 AM

Great page, Mark. We'll be in Mammoth next Thursday-Friday before going up Whitney on Saturday. Got a favorite day-hike you can recommend while we are in Mammoth? I'm thinking Mammoth Crest or Duck Lake.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2006 at 9:24 AM

Great tips on my old hiking grounds. Thousand Island Lake was a favorite lay over. And yes - we do have a fog season, tho not so bad this year. Global warming?

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2006 at 3:55 PM

Great page. I'm visiting Mammoth in June. Which lake can you do a full day-hike to?

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2004 at 11:43 PM

You are right - Hot Creek is just the place for me to soak in right now, thank you! Ah, I don't care for the stench, can't smell anything now anyway.

• Andraf's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2004 at 10:29 AM

Beautiful pictures Mark. I guess it's good that the mountains don't close down after Labor Day ;-) otherwise I wouldn't have time to go in all the hikes that I want to go after viewing your pages.

• wen_viaggio's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2003 at 10:23 AM

Great pictures!!! Will definitely visit those lakes one day!!!!

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2003 at 3:04 PM

The Gothic quality of the photos makes the place look more rugged. From appearances this area would compete with Yosemite for scenery, if not surpass it.

mtncorg

“live to learn; learn to live”

Badges & Stats in Mammoth Lakes

Have you been to Mammoth Lakes?

Latest Activity in Mammoth Lakes