"Good skiing but Unreal hiking and climbing" Top 5 Page for this destination Mammoth Lakes by mtncorg
Mammoth Lakes Travel Guide: 253 reviews and 499 photos
Mammoth Lakes is the busiest tourist center in the Eastern Sierra. It is so for very good reasons: world class skiing, superb alpine scenery, superb outdoor opportunities - bike, hike, climb, horsecamp, backpack, fly fish, or just sit in some of the best hot springs around.
The area bustles and booms with tourism. Ski season is big. People from the San Francisco Bay area gravitate towards the ski areas around Lake Tahoe, further north - Heavenly Mountain, Squaw Valley - but here you have SoCal on the slopes. Los Angelenos on the move. It is nearly a 6 hour drive from LA, but many do it for a weekend of skiing. The mountain is a dormant volcano ringed with ski lifts - not unlike Mt Bachelor in Oregon.
For me, the area is best in September - after the kids are back in school. Many people think the mountains close down after Labor Day, but that is when they come into their own. Fewer people; the air can become more settled; the nights do become crisper and a little longer, so bring along a good friend to share the beauty with.
I am a hiker, so most of my pages will be devoted to dayhikes you can do in the immediate area. there are several campgrounds in the area and many hotels, motels, bed&breakfasts, fastfood stops, bakeries, not-so-fast food stops, grocery stores, gas stations, services of all kind here in Mammoth Lakes - even a brewpub.
- Pros:World Class outdoor activity
- Cons:Summer and Winter can be busy
About five miles up from the trailhead, just north of Convict Lake, lies Mildred Lake deep within an old glacial rift.... more travel advice
One 'backdoor' to Garnet Lake is to take the River Trail up from Agnew Meadow trailhead - this is where options to... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Mammoth Lakes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Best Skiing in California"
- "Good skiing but Unreal hiking and climbing"
- "A Great Place in Winter and Summer"
- "Secret of the Sierras"
- "Nature has Favorites"
- "Mammoth Mountain - My home away from home! :)"
- "MAMMOTH - Southern California's Playground"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mammoth Lakes
- Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
- Transportation in Mammoth Lakes
- Nightlife in Mammoth Lakes
- Restaurants in Mammoth Lakes
- Shopping in Mammoth Lakes
- Warnings and Dangers in Mammoth Lakes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mammoth Lakes
- 14 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (87)
Have you been to Mammoth Lakes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mammoth Lakes
Photos in Mammoth LakesSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos