"Lone Pine - entrance to the highest Sierra" Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine by mtncorg
Lone Pine Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 281 photos
Lone Pine is another small town along the US 395 corridor. I lies slightly under 4000 feet high in the high desertland of the Owens River valley. There are a number of motels, restaurants and grocery store. The Lone Pine Forest Service ranger station is also here. That is where you need to pick up needed permits either for backcountry trails in the Sierra region around here (Cottonwood Lakes, Whitney Portal) or for the dayhike/climb up Mt Whitney itself. Something over 100 day permits are issued daily and that is the first hurdle to be jumped, sometimes dauniting enough.
Also in the area is Owens Lake, a vast playa that has been dried out with Los Angeles preempting all water rights in the area. It is amazing to think there was once enough water in the lake to have a steamboat on it. Also a couple of mining ghost towns are high east off of Owens Lake. Lots of geology, both in the Sierra to the West and the Inyos to the east.
Then there is the Alabama Hills, a geological bumping just west of Lone Pine. Here innumerable movies and commercials have been filmed. Ones that come to mind in recent years are scenes from 'Gladiator' and one of the innumerable Star Trek movies. We re up on the road to Cottonwood Lakes two years ago and had to wait while a car commercial for a Toyota Avalon was being made.
- Pros:Fantastic array of mountains, desert with a splash of movies thrown in
- Cons:Very popular trails with slightly obscure permit system for Whitney - get info from Forest Service websites
- In a nutshell:The Eastern Sierra remains wild thanks to LA County Water District
Weather in the High Sierra is generally more predictable and settled than that you find in many other mountains of... more travel advice
With all of the attention upon the Whitney Portal trail and the Cottonwood Lakes - on the other Sierran roadhead out of... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Lone Pine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A small town with a really big mountain"
- "Lone Pine"
- "Lone Pine - entrance to the highest Sierra"
- "Home of Old West Movies and the High Sierra"
- "Lone Pine - A Hang Glider's Paradise"
- "The Eastern Sierras started here for me"
- "LONE PINE, California."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lone Pine
- Hotels in Lone Pine
- Nightlife in Lone Pine
- Restaurants in Lone Pine
- Shopping in Lone Pine
- Warnings and Dangers in Lone Pine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lone Pine
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Lone Pine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lone Pine
Photos in Lone PineSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos