"Bishop - Portal to the Outdoors" Top 5 Page for this destination Bishop by mtncorg
Bishop Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 195 photos
Bishop is a pleasant town, the largest in the Eastern Sierra region except for winter weekend's when Mammoth Lakes rushes to grab the honors. The town, to the traveller, is full of gas stations, motels and restaurants - both fast and otherwise. It lies at the terminus of US Route 6, but most traffic is north-south on US 395. There is a small native Indian reservation on the western edge of town with its obligatory gambling casino. The town is set deep in the Owens Valley, surrounded by the high Sierran eastern wall on the west and the dry, but equally high, White Mountain range to the east. There is a little train museum just outside of town, but most people are heading to the wilds high in the surrounding mountains. The majority head up California route 168 to the lakes and trails emanating from North, South and Sabrina Lake roadends. Others will drive up into the White Mountains, in search of the oldest trees in the world, the bristlecone pine - over 4000 years old. Note that when driving up to the Whites you are starting from 4000 feet and going to over 11000 feet at the farthest bristlecone grove.
- Pros:World class outdoor region
- Cons:Busy in August; don't try and order from Sheperd's Bakery after the tour bus has stopped!
- In a nutshell:A portal to some of California's Best Nature
Going north out of Bishop on US 6, you will rise 3000 feet to the 7167 foot high Montgomery Pass. Mt Montgomery and... more travel advice
A little over 6 miles from the Lake Sabrina trailhead, lies Hungry Packer Lake. The trail ends here beside this glorious... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Bishop Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bishop - Confluence of Rednecks and Mountain Folk"
- "Bishop - Portal to the Outdoors"
- "CALIFORNIA HWY 395 SWEET SPOT, BISHOP"
- "Bishop, on Highway 395"
- "Small tourist town with great hiking"
- "Desert, Ice, Water & Snow"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bishop
- Hotels in Bishop
- Transportation in Bishop
- Nightlife in Bishop
- Restaurants in Bishop
- Shopping in Bishop
- Warnings and Dangers in Bishop
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bishop
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (177)
Have you been to Bishop?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bishop
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Most visited travel pages."
- Commented on one of goingsolo's Bishop travel pages
- updated a Bishop Travel Page "Bishop - Portal to the Outdoors"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Boundary Peak and Fish Lake Valley"
- Wrote a Review Boundary Peak and Fish Lake Valley in Bishop Off The Beaten Path
Photos in BishopSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos