"BIG PINE - GATEWAY TO MUCH TALLER HEIGHTS" Big Pine by mtncorg
Big Pine Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 44 photos
Big Pine is just a little stop in the road - not much more than a road junction and a garage. Most travelers along US 395 barely slow down. But the roads branching out lead to some of California's most exciting landscapes. Head east - up CA 168 - and you will traverse the wide trench of the Owens River Valley. Mountain walls rise up on either side to over 14000 feet! Ahead lies the steady hard climb up to 7271 foot high Westgard Pass. En route you can see the vast radio antennae farm that is featured in lots of movies. The antennae are all pointed upward, in anticipation of the realization of the X Files. Continue upwards and you will plunge into the heart of the White Mountains, home of the World's oldest living things - the bristlecone pines. You will also be treated to an extraordinary view of the Sierran range in much of its entirety - from Mt Whitney to the peaks of the eastern Yosemite Park. Head west from Big Pine, and you will be directly en route for the trailhead at Glacier Lodge. These two main trails will take you into the heart of some of the wildest and most dramatic scenery you will find in the Range of Light.
- Pros:Some of the most incredible alpine regions of California!
- Cons:Big Pine Basin can get relatively crowded in the short summer season.
- In a nutshell:Ancient trees, spiring peaks, the largest glacier in the Sierra Nevada ... and the Wolfman!
There are a lot of dramatic roads that can be driven throughout the Golden State and this is one of the best. Coming... more travel advice
Here at Fourth Lake, you will find one of the prettiest lakes in the basin. The water is not glacial in origin, hence,... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Big Pine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BIG PINE - GATEWAY TO MUCH TALLER HEIGHTS"
- "Big Pine"
- "Big Pine - Gateway to the largest glacier in SoCal"
- "Gateway to the White Mountains"
- "Mighty big mountains, mighty small town"
- "BIG PINE, CALIFORNIA"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Big Pine
- 12 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Big Pine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Big Pine
Photos in Big PineSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 31 reviews, 100 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (61)
Latest Big Pine hotel reviews
- Big Pine Motel
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 11, 2013