"MOVIE SETS, 4-WHEEL DRIVERS, ROCK CLIMBERS" Alabama Hills by mtncorg
Alabama Hills Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 23 photos
For most movies, there exists a 'golden circle' - usually within an hour of the studio - within which a location scout can find that perfect picture. This necessity is financially dictated, but there are a few other 'secret' areas that exist outside the circle and this is one of them. The desolate, dusty, badlands of the Hills stand beneath one of the most impressive mountain ramparts in the World - the eastern Sierra. Movie companies have been coming to the Hills for almost a hundred years. Here, the western genre found its peak. In recent years, there has been some decline along with the western genre as a whole, but you will still see Lone Pine Peak standing proudly above the badlands of the Hils in such recent and diverse movies as "The Gladiator" where - Russell Crowe can be seen riding through the Hills - supposedly Spain, in the movie's context.
It is possible to visit many of the old movie sites with a little help from local sources. Besides dirt roads, there is not much left to see though. Most sites are north of Mt Whitney Road off a good dirt track known as Movie Flats Road. There are a few sites to the south as well, off the Cottonwood Lakes Road - the site of the old movie "Gunga Din" for example.
Most of the Hills are enjoyed by - besides the movie-site curious - ATV'ers, dirt bikers, mountain bikers and rock climbing enthusiasts.
- In a nutshell:Something to do when the weather up high is bad
There are numerous places throughout in which to practise your skills on the boulders strewn about. Once atop, the view... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Alabama Hills Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alabama Hills"
- "MOVIE SETS, 4-WHEEL DRIVERS, ROCK CLIMBERS"
- "The Alabama Hills"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Alabama Hills
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Alabama Hills?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alabama Hills
Photos in Alabama HillsSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 63 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pennsylvania Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 56 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 33 reviews, 99 photos
- Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial National Military Park Intro, 31 reviews, 100 photos