"Sinaguans in a Canyon" Walnut Canyon National Monument by mtncorg
Walnut Canyon National Monument Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 83 photos
Just off I40, a short way east of Flagstaff, lies this little gem of history. Walnut Canyon is not on the main road to Grand Canyon like Wupatki and is not as well known. What is here, though, is a beautiful canyon setting in which hundreds of homes were built by a Sinaguan people utilizing natural alcoves of the canyon walls.
1100 to 1250 seems to have been an active time for the Sinaguans. These dwelling were occupied about the same time as Wupatki was to the north. Scattered families grew squash, corn and beans on small plots on the canyon rim. About 1150, people began moving down into the canyon, maintaining their plots above. After 150 years, they were gone.
The descendants of these peoples still thrive as the Hopi of northern Arizon and certain Pueblo people of New Mexico. Pueblo villages of Old Oraibi of the Hopi and the Sky City of Acoma were built about the same time - 1100. Various Hopi clans trace their history back to sites in both Walnut Canyon and Wupatki.
Start at the Visitor Center and then take the Island Trail to get a first hand look. The trail was built by workers of the CCC in the 1930's.
Fee: $5 / 7 day
- Pros:Beautiful history-filled canyon
- Cons:Hot on a summer afternoon
- In a nutshell:More Evidence America did not start in 1492
The elevation here is 6690 feet/2039 meters, so take that into consideration before plunging down into the canyon. There... more travel advice
Similar to castles in Europe, the doors of the Sinaguan people point to a people much shorter in stature than that of... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Walnut Canyon National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Walnut Canyon National Monument Page"
- "Sinaguans in a Canyon"
- "Sinagua Indians Lived in High Style"
- "Back to the Stone Age"
- "Jumping Around Walnut Canyon National Monument!"
- "Walnut Canyon Arizona"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Walnut Canyon National Monument
- Transportation in Walnut Canyon National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Walnut Canyon National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Walnut Canyon National Monument
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Walnut Canyon National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Walnut Canyon National Monument
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Apostrophes in photo captions"
- Commented on one of Jonathan_C's Walnut Canyon National Monument travel pages
- Wrote a Review Let those Feets do Some Walking in Walnut Canyon National Monument Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Let those Feets do Some Walking"
- updated a Walnut Canyon National Monument Travel Page "Sinaguans in a Canyon"
Photos in Walnut Canyon National MonumentSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 64 reviews, 244 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 64 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues