"Medieval Arizona" Top 5 Page for this destination Montezuma Castle National Monument by mtncorg
Montezuma Castle National Monument Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 160 photos
Three separate cultures had made their appearance here in central Arizona's Verde Valley before the first Spanish showed up in 1583. Hohokam, Sinagua and Yavapai. The Hohokam came around 600 with irrigated farming, living in little stick and mud houses by their fields. Dry farming Sinaguan came in around 1125. From the Hohkam, the Sinaguans adopted irrigating techniques andfrom the Anasazi, to the north, they developed above-ground masonry dwellings, having lived in pithouses earlier. The Sinaguan pueblos gradually enlarged with time to the ones seen at both Montezuma Castle and nearby Tuzigoot National Monument in the 1300's. Early in the 1400's, they melted off the scene, possibly to meld with Anasazis into what is today the Hopi.
Montezuma Castle an Montezuma Well were built in the 12th century by the Sinaguan. At the Castle, the creek below the dwellings provided water for irrigation. At the Well, a spring feeding the lake wihtin the large limestone sinkhole provided waters. The Castle is thought of as the best preserved cliff dwelling in the Southwest.
Fees: $3 / 7 days covering both the Well and the Castle
Montezuma Castle and Well lie about one hour north of Phoenix, just off of I 17.
- Pros:Native American ruins, beautiful locations - Sedona part 1
- Cons:Hot in summer
- In a nutshell:History on Parade
You can walk around the Well. Look at the waters which meant life to those who found them. Imagine that others have done... more travel advice
Both Hohokam and Sinaguans used the waters from this wel to irrigate their crops. The well is in a huge limestone... more travel advice
mtncorg's Related Pages
Montezuma Castle National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit the Impressive Montezuma's Castle"
- "Montezuma Castle National Momument"
- "How they must have done that all those years ago!"
- "Medieval Arizona"
- "Montezuma Castle"
- "Hi-rise Luxury from the 1200s"
- "MONTEZUMA'S CASTLE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- Transportation in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- Shopping in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Montezuma Castle National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montezuma Castle National Monument
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Apostrophes in photo captions"
- Commented on one of Basaic's Montezuma Castle National Monument travel pages
- updated a Montezuma Castle National Monument Travel Page "Medieval Arizona"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Medieval Arizona"
- Wrote a Review WATERS OF THE WELL in Montezuma Castle National Monument Things to Do
Photos in Montezuma Castle National MonumentSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oregon Intro, 63 reviews, 239 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 61 reviews, 239 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Intro, 52 reviews, 205 photos
- Shiloh National Military Park Intro, 54 reviews, 191 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 62 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Intro, 50 reviews, 163 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 43 reviews, 145 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 35 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington State Intro, 38 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues