"Grand Canyon is a lot of things to a lot of people" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park by mtncorg

Grand Canyon National Park Travel Guide: 565 reviews and 1,395 photos

One of the true natural wonders of the world, the Grand Canyon is one of those places that many people put high on their lists of places to see at some point in their lives. At some of the turn outs along the South Rim, you might think that most of those people have decided to consummate their desires at the same time. A tour of the South Rim demonstrates most of the famous views that will be familiar to many. I have included some of these stops along this rim in the ‘Things to Do’ category.

The best way to experience the Canyon is from the Colorado River far below. This is a much more expensive option in both time and money from a quick visit to the South Rim, but the experience is so much more rewarding. Here, you can really begin to understand the Canyon, its natural and human history. To sit along the riverbank, walls towering all around, the first bat flitting above in the waning light of dusk is simply magic. ‘Off the Beaten Path’ tips take you to sites best reached from the River while the travelogues will take you downstream in a more flowing manner.

VT puts the North Rim of the Canyon in another category for some reason. Here you will find a lot less people and views that might be superior in some respects to those of the South Rim - you are another 1000 feet higher here. Remember, however, that to drive between the two rims you are looking at a five hour drive one way. Because of this, you might consider including the two rims on separate parts of your trip or as separate trips. Click on North Rim for more tips on this area.

• Pros:World class rafting, archaeology, nature
  • Cons:Crowds along the South Rim
  • In a nutshell:Go take a Hike! Better yet, go on a Float!
  • Last visit to Grand Canyon National Park: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 11, 2007

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I returned form my trip and Marble CAnyon and Lees Ferry was one of my favorite places; where the Colorado began the cut of Grand Canyon. I hiked around there.

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Hi, me and my son plan to raft the GC next summer. I liked reading about your adventure.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2008 at 2:12 PM

"You have reached mile 179." Fascinating travelogues and Off the Beaten Path Tips, with brilliant photos. -- Oh, and I hope you're having a great birthday today.

• staindesign's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2007 at 6:47 AM

I absolutely loved your GC pages!!! I can't wait to go there, you speak like a true travel guide! Thanks so much~Abi

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2006 at 11:16 AM

Wow! Now THIS is a Grand Canyon page. I should have known you'd have the definitive page. I will come back and peruse at length! I think I'll see it from the bottom when I take a helocopter down (and up)!

• jmarkoos's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2006 at 2:33 AM

:-))) still in Dovje - it is so beautiful I can't leave it :-) Thank you Mark for your wishes - if you come around I will be glad to meet you again

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2006 at 8:26 PM

What an amazing place. I hope to see the Grand Canyon soon

• Fam.Rauca's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2005 at 11:45 AM

Marvelously!!! Genuinely, superb!!! Fam.Rauca

• cassiejoy42's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2005 at 8:08 PM

Dude awesome pages and photos - I am so going to visit the Grand Canyon one day. Cassie

• Oct 3, 2005 at 8:54 PM

we just returned from the grand canyon... awesome pics

mtncorg

“live to learn; learn to live”

Badges & Stats in Grand Canyon National Park

Have you been to Grand Canyon National Park?